Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why cant you make an associative mirror of a component using the same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhollehday

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2019
US
I cant figure out a way to get multiple components to be mirrored while keeping the same name and position as the original component. If the pattern component feature had linear, circular, reference, and "mirror" it would solve my issue.

I want to drive a parts list in the drawing of a large assembly, but currently have a lot of components mirrored to the other side of the assembly using an associative mirror. The associative mirror tool forces a new name on the components being mirrored. Now I have trouble in the parts list for showing correct quantities.

Any ideas here? I came from CREO where you could easily make this happen and drive a BOM.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have enabled it in customer defaults, but can not figure out how to use it. When I type in reflect component in the search box, it shows the tool and says "this command is available in the gateway application". Nothing happens when I click it.

Very excited to figure this out. Thanks for you input

It says I have to be in the assemblies application when I search it, then it says you must be in the gateway, so I activate the gateway, then it just simply says "this command is unavailable" when I search it.

Probably you need to restar NX after change customer defaults. double check if the option keep the value when you restar.

Gelson Z. Nicoletto
Eng. Supervisor
Mould Desing
Brazil

Awesome, got it to work by restarting.

When I use this tool though, it doesn't lock the position of the part. It basically seems to do the same thing as WAVE mirror geometry non-associative.

Is there a way to mirror the position so as you change it, the mirrored instance will change with it?

Does anyone have incite into this? I still can't find a solution. The reflection tool does not seem to lock position to original part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back