Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why should we use excel 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALY

Structural
Oct 8, 1999
US
I would like to ask all of you who use excel as your spreadsheet for designing, how would u rate excel for structural calc.? and how i can start? is there any book would u recommend? i've been using mathcad and tedd's, but i have many excel applications i used as well, excel seems easy but doesn't check units as the other programs i use, please help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excel is the best spreadsheet program available, and I thank Microsoft for dominating the office software market, bringing a standard to the wide range of users. The other spreadsheets convert Excel ALMOST right, occasionally this almost brings the structures down.

Skyhigh, I am very interested in what you are saying. Please give a couple of DETAILED examples of Excel's inaccuracies.

Greglocock,
Thanks for the pointer to scilab. I love it! and also the nice thing about is, it runs under MS windows and Linux. Try OO is is a well structured program, also SMS Star office but only v6.0. Also look at Xandros for an OS or Lindows if you like windows drivers.

OO is the new name for the Star Office. It is not anymore maintained by SUN. I experienced some problems with it trying to open some Excel created *.xls files, the graphs did not show properly.
For obvious reasons I use it only at home, for my private stuff.
gearguru

Skyhigh / GregLocock

I can't access scilab.org

I get error message: forbidden access. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back