Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wider is better? or not? size of contact patch arguement 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

steved33

Automotive
Feb 24, 2003
US
In a very heated debate on another forum, some associates and I have been debating whether or not wider is truly better. So I address this forum...(it's been forever since I posted last)

The basis is that for the same compound of tire, running in it's proper temperature zone, that wider is not always better.

On one side of the arguement, the insistence is that as the area of the contact patch increases (you go to a wider tire), that increase in area is what gives you more grip/traction.

On the other side, grip/traction is controlled by the coeff. of friction x the normal force, and width really doesn't matter.

really the question is...Does the size of the contact patch matter?

Apply this to an autocross or road race car that could be setup on anything from a 195 to a 275 width tire.

I can supply a pointer to the arguement if needed.

steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KNAP
Not sure what you are looking for concerning "inside" info. Can you be more specific?

37 yrs Tire Eng. Designed basic rain Firestone for CART. SCCA & IMSA Pro & Am. Set lap records at 6 different road courses in '89-91.

Firestone engineer Harry Davis - we can't groove these tyres so go out and be careful.

In mid 60s Firestone went from 6ins tread to 12ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back