Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Loading on specific members

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIT1985

Civil/Environmental
Sep 17, 2008
CA
Now this might be a relatively simple problem to solve, but I've had the most difficult time trying to solve it and CSI tech support... well do they even exist?

1) I'm trying to apply a static wind load (NBCC 2005) to a vertical truss (only to one story). I only want the wind load to be applied to the exposed truss members. I understand Imay have to manually create and apply a lateral uniform load, but how will I apply it to those exposed sections?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a completely exposed truss? Meaning is there no cladding? Does the wind load flow between the truss members and out of the building?

The structure is completely exposed to the elements. There will be no cladding on the section that I am trying to apply wind load to. It's a simple 3m x 3m open frame with X type cross bracing (think box with an X on all 4 sides), so yes the wind will flow in (through the windward side) and out the leeward side.

I also had a wall section where there is cladding, but I think the way to go about that is inserting a dummy wall and applying a Cp coefficient to it? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

your help is much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back