Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wire diagram for a leeson-taylor mtr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmars

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2009
US
The mtr plate says "connect for wiring diagram supplied with motor". I dont have this. Can anyone help me? model A4S17DR46B OR A4S1-DR46B. Orange wire marked RB, White marked R21, Black w/White stripe no marking, Green w/Yellow stripe marked R14. Its single phase.

tks, paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure about Leeson_Taylor?
Green with yellow stripe is often ground. Check for continuity from this lead to the motor frame and NO continuity to the other two leads.
More information would be helpful.
Pictures?
Nameplate data?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

part number. 4*066 27

* after the four is either a space slash OR a 7, as 4 /066 27 OR 47066 27

Not sure about the 27 at the end. I can barely read it. Also, maybe the space before the 27 is really a letter or number, I dont think so, but not sure.

Is there any chance that this was a drive motor for an electric clothes drier? There are several indicators but none definite.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Double throw centrifugal switch to turn off heat source if the motor stops. Wires would be L1, L2, ground, and heater switch. Other than that, no.
Indications;
Google doesn't find Leeson-Taylor. May be OEM motor built to OEM specs by Leeson.
Very small drive pulley, Common on driers.
No JB or peckerhead, and OEM connector on the ends of the wires.
Green/yellow is often ground. That leaves three wires. not common for many single phase motors of that physical size.
Did you check for ground continuity yet?
What voltage is shown on the nameplate?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

See if one wire goes to the centrifugal switch with no continuity to anything when the motor is at rest. Then the two remaining wire would be the power leads. Check the condition of the centrifugal switch. The motor may have been removed from service due to a faulty switch.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

If you are wanting to try and run the motor, the line's are clearly marked. White and orange. As to what the black lead does, It doesn't look like it is coming directly off the switch( normally open then closes when motor is running to maybe start some type of heat source, as suggested above), but it looks like it is coming off of one side of the start winding on the terminal board of the motor.

The other diagram that was shown in your last post does not correspond with the orange, white, and black leads. They only correspond with other connections that are on the terminal board of the motor that are on your next to last post. It is basically telling you to interchange positions of lead #5 and lead #8 on the terminal board to change the rotation of the motor.

On your 14 Jul 10 1:59 post the picture that was posted shows a terminal board on the motor.
The white lead terminates on the right. The board reads "LINE". One of your LINE's goes here. The orange lead terminates on the left. The board reads "LINE". The other LINE goes here.

powered it and it spun for 30 seconds and stopped. Removed power and 5 seconds later heard a click. Powered it and it spun for 15 seconds and stopped. Removed power and 30 seconds later I heard a click. Powered it and it spun for 5 seconds and stopped. Removed power and felt the mtr case and it was hot. After about 5 seconds I had to remove my hand. At least a minute went by before I heard the click. Fixable or scrap it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back