Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Women in Engineering. 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are speaking about engineering, IRstuff! “Women and men are equal as engineers or in any other profession; maybe women are even more intelligent than men"

cranky108

I don´t know the answer to your question...Sometimes...It just happens!

lm

kacarrol said:
I thought this article summarizing statistics on comments from blogs deserved a mention here:

Someone please correct me if my left brain is failing, but I believe the statistics in this article are completely meaningless without knowing the ratio of men to women who were participating in the observed fora.

Also of note is that different online fora attract different people. Take a look at the Fox News forum, and then jump over to ABC to see what I mean. Three online fora is nowhere near large enough a sample to make such a broad conclusion. This forum, for example, would probably drift many of these statistics the other way, at least based on this thread.

Disclaimer: I am in no way disputing that gender bias exists in the workplace and/or hiring process. I am just pointing out shenanigans where I see them.

To me, the fundamental problem is jealousy. It is one of the ugliest and most destructive emotions of mankind. Jealousy drives people to all sorts of evil.

After reading Carol Dweck's book, Mindset, and George Simon's book, Character Disturbance, I understand better what's happened in my own life. As I read those books, pieces of understanding fell into place changing the way I think about people and myself forever. The veil of ignorance has been removed about disturbed characters, their influence on the human mind, and what is truly neurotic.

A fellow engineer, male, called me The Token or The Girl often for years. I thought I was strong. I wasn't. Those words still ring in my mind today. I have walked each step of my life and mostly alone. And I am not a token. I am an engineer and I have worked hard as an engineer to make life better for others. That is what matters.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

lacajun,

People who say stuff like that, or call you stuff like that, are...well...stupid.

You can't fix stupid. You're better off ignoring it. Good to see you have done a good job just blowing it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back