Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Women Men Work Place Inequities 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

kontiki99

Electrical
Feb 16, 2006
US
I favor equal opportunity non-discriminatory work place practices. I’m fine with breast feeding rooms. I’m happy to see people going off and having babies.

But, I do believe our culture over looks many bizarre inequities where men are not afforded the same flexibilities extended to women.

I want to highlight a couple, any body know of more?

Minor Issue #1 –

Foot wear at work.

I’m a male engineer. I wear shoes to work every day.

I see women wearing all manner of flip flop (any shoe that makes a flip-flip sound when you walk), bedroom slippers, open toed things, plus some of the weirdest heel geometries I have ever seem.

I’d like to come in open toed flip flops or maybe bedroom slippers, but I’d really be dressed unprofessionally.

Minor Issue #2 -

As a male I cannot post photos of attractive women in swim suits in my cube without the fear of someone claiming that it’s inappropriate.

At a previous job, one of the IT managers apparently did most of his recruiting down the gold club or something because all of the people in his department had great figures and tended to dress somewhat provocatively.

They wall papered their cube with photos of them selves and their friends at pool parties and such. It was just fine.

If I had borrowed some of those photos and put them in my cube I’d have definitely been reprimanded.

My point -

I learned in the Marine Corps that there is always the 10 % group of people that just don’t cut it. The same goes for both genders.

I actually witnessed this first hand as a Civil Service engineer (20 yrs later) while on a shake down cruise on one of our fighting love boats 20.

I’d like to see female professionalism in the workplace enforced as uniformly for women as it is for men.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The other side of the coin is women with loose mouths. This particular number was quick with the snide remarks and comments with sexual overtones.

I was examining a mech defect under a microscope with TV monitor blowup. She came by and remarked that it looked like a part of female anatomy. I found it annoying, but it would probably do me harm if I had made a complaint. She was a long time tech employee serving as a dept supvr.

Ahh Jeez

I can't believe folks with such a good education make
comments such as these, Get over it and move on for God sake!
We must learn to deal with all walks of life.

Chuck

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul.
- George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back