Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wooden Screen Wall Manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgd2

Structural
Apr 2, 2008
US
Hello all,

I am designing a wooden fence which is going to be on top of a concrete retaining wall. Its going to be timber posts at certain spacing with tongue and groove lumber board in between. I tried to find a manufacturer who does this kind of fence but couldn't find one. Any recommendations will be grateful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fence post base connection is the problem, and I disagree that most carpenters get this right. The best way is to bolt the fence posts to the side of the wall.

I agree with hokie's post detail.

I think I would call out the posts and the bolt detail, and then call out for a pre-fabricated privacy fence by others. Here in Florida these are almost always pre-fab panels, available at your big box home improvement stores or from specialty fence dealers. I am guessing there are prescriptive requirements in code, but these things are usually 6-8 ft long panels with 2-3 horizontal "girt" members that are probably the equivalent of a 2x4 ripped lengthwise....

I got the post base connection. As the wall is going to be almost 10'-12' high I need a horizontal member between posts to connect my lumber boards so they can stand the wind pressure and also to bring my post size down. I guess pre-fabricated privacy fence as a2mfk suggested is not gonna work in this case. If I am not wrong this would be a special design for any fence manufacturer.

Have you considered a steel frame between the posts with T&G paneling? The steel frame ends could be embedded & might be used to supplement the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back