Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Work Place Politics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diborane

Chemical
May 3, 2005
FI
Hi,

What is the best way to deal with this situation. About a year ago I emailed a senior engineer at my company to confirm a sizing issue. He reconfirmed the criteria and said that my work was correct. I even went one size higher than our undocumented sizing criteria to handle surge flows.

Now there are some rumblings that I what I worked on may have been undersized. Whats the proper way of handling the situation. Do I take all the heat myself? Or do I go hey wait a minute I asked so and so what the criteria was, then reconfirmed it and based on the criteria given I did everything 100% correct. My worry is throwing someone under the bus who I still have to work with.

Best Regards,

Diborane

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have documentation of your conversation? If you have the conversation documented now would be the time to expose it to all parties....if not you might be taking the heat unless the engineer is a stand up guy/gal.

I have three ways of documenting issues: (1) Log Book for critical design/project information. (2) E-mail. (3) I can save voice mails as *.wav files.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Rumblings are rumblings.

Anyone who honestly thinks there is a problem would, in all decency, approach you first, not start a rumour mill. The assumption is that since you've posted that this isn't some normal workplace messing about but a serious situation.

You need to know who is saying so and why and if they had the same access to the design brief that you had. If it is a genuine comment then fair enough and you need to find out the truth and try not do it again (you or the senior engineer).

However, I deduce this is not a fair criticism, but you think some brown-noser is stirring the pot.

This type of behaviour needs addressing, when you get the chance, in no uncertain terms. This isn't come slur on your drinking habits, table manners or social skills etc but on your skills as an engineer and you depend on your reputation as an engineer for your future.

It doesn't matter whether it is engineering or anything else: you had a design brief, did the calculations, had them reviewed and then added a safety margin.

Perhaps whoever is the source doesn't realise that you had the senior engineer review and agree your work. He/she thinks it is just you and your work they are criticising.

Don't wise them up just yet.

Find out who it is, approach them and ask them to explain the problem and where they think you went wrong. Give them some rope.

If they are evasive or pretend it was a joke or something make sure they understand you won't tolerate this in future. Respond in the manner most appropriate to your feelings about this (Hey, within the law).

If they persist, get them to either show where your calculations are wrong or present their own calculations and reasoning and get it in writing. It is put up or shut up time.

Thank them and, if you think they are full of it, then state that the best way to resolve the issue is to have the senior engineer take a look.
You then send it to the senior engineer with a comment such as: "Brown Nose thinks that work I sent to you and that you OK'd (include references or copies of correspondance) was bulls**t and here is his report."

Suck them in, chew them up and spit them out.
The world will be a better place with fewer brown-nosed back-stabbers.

JMW

My first thought is that if you have a properly considered design, and someone suitably capable has checked your design then there is a good chance that the design is right. If you are confident that your work is correct, I'd first go through the input data and assumptions you've based your design on. Chances are that one of the input conditions has changed and no one has thought to tell you about it.

I'd start off with a double check back with the senior engineer "there's a suggestion this is wrong - do you think we should have been more conservative?" kind of question, and copy in the naysayer if you know who it is.

If the senior still agrees with you, I'd hope he would take up the fight now because its a slur on his reputation as well. If he denys all knowledge and attacks your work its time to bring out whatever documentation you have that proves his involvement and fight for your reputation for all its worth (whatever worth you put on it that is!)

I was once told that the person responsible for any failures in a design was the person who checked the work. If there are rumblings then let them rumble. If anyone has any serious concerns then they'd ask for the work to be rechecked, that would be the proper thing to do. I'd maybe mention it to the senior engineer that there are rumblings, but otherwise forget it. As people have said, always keep records of what you do and say to keep your back covered. Knives often come from strange angles.

corus

First rule of design: get a spec against which you can design. In writing or on e-mail. Refuse verbal specs - they are a moving target and trying to meet one is like trying to staple jelly to the ceiling. If the spec you're working to changes then you may have to review your design. That's just part of the job. If the spec changes and you aren't made aware of it then that's a bit different and probably means that someone screwed up. Could they be trying to blame you for their mistake?

If your design meets the spec you had to work with I don't see you have anything to worry about. Challenge them openly with both the specification and the calcs that show your design meets it. Your critic will find it is difficult to argue with facts.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

I would play everything "above board". Your task is to make sure it's done and it's done correctly. You've followed published specifications, added an additional safety margin, and consulted with a senior engineer. It also appears you can back all of this up with documentation and e-mail records. However, if there are some specific "rumblers" out there, give them a chance to publically communicate their concerns (cc'd to the senior engineer you spoke with of course). After all, every good engineer welcomes a "second pair of eyes".

Now, if these "rumblers" are just being cynical, then shining a light on them in this way will shut them down real fast. If they have something legitimate, then you look
like you are more concerned obout getting it right than protecting your reputation.

Either way, you look good.

--
Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-- Albert Einstein

Tempted to dig out your records to make sure you still have them. Tidy them and any calcs, emails etc up and have them to hand.

Have a chat to the senior guy who checked your work just to see if he's heard anything and to bring it to his attention/give him a chance to think about it.

Unless you think you can preempt it then wait for the rumblings to do more than rumble before doing much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back