Wrap Curve On Sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mintsopoulos

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2014
US
Good Morning Everyone!

Been playing around in UG NX9.1 and I have a set of projected curves that I would like to wrap around the top part of a sphere (thing engraving on a ball-type shift knob) and I cant seem to figure out how. I can project the curves to the face of the sphere but the projections get distorted as they move along the face. When I try to simply 'wrap curves' I keep getting th error "The Selected face must be developable" Any ideas of how to go about doing this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide the part file, at least the spherical surface and the curves?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

At the bottom of the 'Reply To This Thread' field you will find a couple of links to where you can upload a file that will be attached to your post. I've always used the link labeled '...or uplaod your file to ENGINEERING.com'. After entering your reply but before submitting it, select this link and follow the instructions. When you've completed what it asks, then you can submit your reply and your file will automatically be attached so that anyone reading the reply can then download your file to their system.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

OK, attached is one approach to this. What I did was create a cylinder the same size as and superposed over the Sphere. Then I wrapped the curves around the Cylinder. Now this placed the curves very close to the face of the Sphere and while this is not perfect, what I did next was to project these 'wrapped' curves normal to the face of the Sphere. I think you will find that this will probably be good enough to what it is that you're doing. You can 'Show' the last few features to see what I've done.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=18aa3230-b14b-483d-b871-a36b5d192845&file=Ball_Knob-JRB-1.prt
I am looking to actually machine the 'SRT' logo into a ball knob for my car. Trying to make a custom piece for myself that nobody else has. That is my main goal Id like to achieve with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back