Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You Know You're Old/Young If ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
I have been reading various comments in the fora which seems to date the poster as "old" or "young" sometimes.

I though maybe there is sufficient interest to compile a list to help the old identify with the young, and the young to identify with the old.

If you are in between, I guess pick a side?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quantum50 - Funny, I don't think of my self as being so old. Most Engineers are just kids who left their Erector sets, chemistry kits, Tinker toys, Tonka trucks, and Lincoln logs behind to work with more complex toys. But kids, at heart, they still are.

In my case, when I was a teenager, what you bought at the store was transistorized, but most of the things thrown away on trash day contained tubes, so my first designs were with tubes. Nowdays, I design stuff that I have to solder under a microscope that operates at frequencies that 'typical' tubes could never reach.

You know your old if you build a radio, metal detector, lie detector and etc, from a Radio Shack electronics kit. (Christmas gift.)

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

Amen, Comcokid.

Re. headphones; I exceed 35 by 143% (or is that 43% but that's another thread) but I find my streaming classical music invaluable. It helps block out the conversations which don't concern me and those BLASTED speakerphones that people are too lazy to.......sorry. Got sidetracked.

I have started listening with only one bud in so I can hear if a conversation does concern me. I've gotten adept at keeping the music in the middle-ground, conversations in the background, and my tasks in the foreground (in case my supervisor is reading this). ;-)

You know you're old if you got to build a crystal radio from scratch as a school project and used the dial hook for an antenna connection

TTFN

You know you are old when you still address strangers for the first time as Mr. or Ms. (Miss. and Mrs., of course, would be too presumptuous).

Albert Einstein

You can always tell if somebody is old or young by the way they file things. Ask them to find something for you.

If young: They will immediately turn to their computer,
If Old: It is guaranteed they have a hard copy in a drawer or stack of papers somewhere that they can find just as fast.

You know you are old when you start shaking your head at stories the younger generation are telling you instead of thinking, "Man, I have to try that!"

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You know your getting old when the VERY young girl at the Hallmark store asks if you are eligable for the senior discount. AND you are still a few years away from even thinking about that kind of stuff!

you're young, sort of, if you remember who Kurt Cobain was, you're old if you remember John Travolta's strut, ahh those crazy middle aged people and their crazy disco music hehehe

IRstuff said:
You know you're old if you got to build a crystal radio from scratch as a school project and used the dial hook for an antenna connection

You know your young when you have to ask what a dial hook is. ;-)

Good one, IRstuff!

You're old when people tell you that whatever bit of kit you cut your teeth on and you've still got lying around on the "nostalgia shelf" (I'll find a use for it one day") is "collectable".
My wife threw away my Amstrad PCW just about that time (to my regret) and I'm now told my old Nokia phone is now "collectable".
I suppose also if you can remeber the first digital watch, the first pocket calculators and the days when the first electronic pub games were asteroids and paddle tennis.

JMW

OLD-When you can remember programming your own games on an Atari 800. Also the first version of donkey Kong and space invaders, how about a tape drive for storage. I'm only 26 but I grew up in the backwoods of Hawaii. Your old if you dont have an Ipod or the faintest idea of how to use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back