Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

You Know You're Old/Young If ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
I have been reading various comments in the fora which seems to date the poster as "old" or "young" sometimes.

I though maybe there is sufficient interest to compile a list to help the old identify with the young, and the young to identify with the old.

If you are in between, I guess pick a side?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought that the typewriter correction tape was called "White-out" strips. Then again, I'm so old, I don't know what i remember. :)

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I'm visiting my parents' house right now, and my father has a pack of Ko-Rec-Type Typewriter Opaquing Film on his desk in his study (Copyright date in it is 1976).
He still has his old IBM typewriter which he actually uses when the computer starts to p*ss him off.

I am definitely NOT old and my Lloyd's accumatic 321 calculator is definitely state of the art. However I did have to give up on my Xerox 820 computer. The new floppies were too small to fit the drives.
B.E.

You're old if you're at home in VMS or Ultrix, know what an RL02 is, and have heard of DECnet.

You are really old if the name PDP-11 fills you with misty-eyed nostalgia for the good old days before Microsh*te came along and ruined things!

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Nah, only close.

Nothing like Basic running on a PDP-8, or playing Lunar Lander on same.

Or, the wall of lights that was the computer on the Seaview or the Flying Sub.

TTFN

I actually found out I could rent Fireball XL5 from Netflix. I can't believe I use to get excited about that Saturday morning program but it was neat to think you could swallow a pill and not die in the vacuum of space. And their take-offs were so cool.

Quantum50

I remember sending off for a free model of Fireball XL5 from Kellogs! So excited when it arrived ! That was around the same era as Supercar/Mike Mercury/Mitch ?

Windows New Technology (WNT) is just the next generation of Virtual Management System (VMS) written by the same person, Dave Cutler.

How about if you remember playing Dungeon on a PDP-11 or VMS? Only text, limited command parser, etc. I found a copy compiled for MS OS's on the internet a few months ago. I gave a copy to my 16 year old son to play for a comparison to Warcraft.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

How bout Zork?

And more of what makes me old: I pay extra $ to have a unix shell account for my email (though I don't do much else with it). But I'm not *that* old--I use emacs, not vi.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Zork was the commercialized version of Dungeon. I used to have Zork Trilogy for my Apple IIe, along with ScreenWriter II word processor.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I thought to myself "What is TECO?". While looking for it, I realised it was a forerunner of emacs. Very good, IRstuff! I also found which looks interesting. A download job for work tomorrow.

vi is a good editor, just a steep learning curve. Better than the diabolical edlin of early DOS releases. Who remembers the EVE editor for the VAX?

Going further even further OT - has anyone downloaded the gargantuan Solaris 10 OS for the PC? Whatcha think? Nice to get a copy of a decent OS for free, and it solves my immediate problem of needing an X client without using eXceed and without buying a Sun box.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back