Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2D drawing nearly dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

321GO

Automotive
Jan 24, 2010
NL
Hello Guys,

so what do you think? Is there still a future for (mechanical) 2D drawings and subsequently for the associated industries?

Are businesses today not elliminating this "in between step", and directly transferring 3D to there machines? Since i'm still doing a lot off these 2D's, i'm wondering if i'm working on steam train technology?

So what do you guys think? How many of you still use these and will continue to use these? Is there something that makes 2D drawing somehow "supperior"?

BTW i'm purely talking about the mechanical sector.

Thank you all in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KENAT,

Change from linen to tracing paper does not require a radical change to the way you do design. I think 3D does.

I am trying to find a set of Rapidograph pens for my niece. She likes drawing Manga. I have my own set which I have used for both artwork and drafting. They are no longer in the stores here in the Toronto area. I cannot even find inks in bottles suitable for reloading the pens. The clerk at the artist run store I visited, told me that they cannot find the matte mylar any more.

My niece may be getting books for Christmas, again.

Critter.gif
JHG

drawoh, true, all kinds of supplies are going missing. Engineering pads, colored lead for lead holders, who knows what all.

Regards,

Mike

drawoh, matte mylar... that's a blast from the past! I remember razzing my friends that were still on vellum when I was using that mylar with plastic-leaded mechanical pencils. "Ha ha, you still need to use a scum bag..."

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

KENAT said:
I don't know, switching from ink to pencil etc. must have upset a few oldschoolers.

Was ink ever used systematically for mechanical design? Why go to the extra trouble if you do not need presentation quality?

I have done ink on mylar for some installation drawings for our customers. I used my Rapidograph pens and a Leroy template. They looked great until a co-worker changed something with his pencil and his messy printing. It is a good thing Rapidographs are not deadly weapons, at least, while loaded with ink.

Critter.gif
JHG

I never did a linen drawing from scratch so can't be sure, however when amending/revising them you had to use ink - pencil didn't really cut it. So you better get it right.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

asme y14.41 lays down the ideas for MBD with annotated models.

However, frankly, it doesn't seem very user friendly - this has been discussed before.

Plus it relies on everybody having an interoperable data exchange where they can get all the information from the model - not just a dumb solid.

This is made to work for some aerospace & automotive supply chains - gets more tricky for smaller places which can't tell their vendors which CAD system to choose.

However, all this has been discussed before in one or another thread see my 4 Oct 10 20:22 post which has links to lots of threads about this type of thing.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I found Rapidograph pens!

The store I called that claimed they did not have any, had some. I even found the squirt bottle for the ink. If you are in Toronto, Canada, you search Curry's, and you ask a senior person where everything is.

The only remaining problem will be how my sister is going to get india ink out whatever her daughter spills it on.[smile]

Critter.gif
JHG

I am sure that 2D will still be alive and well for some time in the construction industry.

Most of the guys on site have enough problem understanding a 2d drawing let alone a 3d one. Easier to understand the concept, harder to understand the detail.

cranky108,

Drawings are 2D!

One of the benefits of SolidWorks is that it knows what units you are using, within reason. You can model parts in 3D 100mm wide by 6in long by 10mil thick, if you want. My understanding is that SolidWorks works uses meters as its unit of length. It knows the conversions.

Critter.gif
JHG

Well, having had some limited experience with solid modelers I note that the graphic represenation is ALWAYS 2D due to the fact that computer montors are, like paper, flat.

Regards, and happy New Year.

Mike

Most of the drawings I work with are unitless, although the mechinical ones could have units, but we don't use units for schematics, logic drawings or R-X diagrams.

So how can anyone say 2D is almost dead?

I also struggle with drawing programs not being able to handle log-log scales for time-current diagrams. And different scales for X and Y in profile drawings.

It sounds like that 2D is only dead in your world, while the rest of the fields these programs just can't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back