Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A simple challenge 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
Rough out a fossil fuel free system for a given populated area to replace a 1 GW coal power station, at 2020-2022 prices. use 1 year of hour by hour weather observations

Rules

maximum of 1 month per year scheduled downtime

1 hour per year unscheduled dark due to lack of storage.

No extension leads.

No hydro using naturally occurring sites for both basins (they're already in use)

30 year design life.

I'm selecting a local power station, now gone, in Anglesea Victoria. It has fairly good windpower prospects, including offshore. I'm using the weather observations from a town just along the coast called Airey's Inlet, or Hairy Singlet.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MoltenMetal said:
Forget about small modular nuclear plants, the notion that they'll make cheaper kWh than big plants is just a willing suspension of engineering economics.

So, the main reason why I like "small nuclear" plants is because of the enormous lead time for the large engineering plants. They take so long to plan and build that they just don't get built. That's a construction / project planning issue. And, I would hope that the smaller more modular plants would be somewhat successful in bypassing some of those hurdles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back