A walk down memory lane... 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
I may have posted this before, but...

46 years ago today, August 8th, 1977, I sat down for the first time in front of a seat of Unigraphics. The company I was working for at the time, Baker Perkins Inc (no relation) in Saginaw, Michigan, had purchased a four-seat system and we had sent six people to SoCal for training. The food machinery division, where I worked, sent two engineers, myself, a mechanical engineer and an electrical engineer. The chemical division sent a mechanical draftsman and one of their PhD chemists/analysts. The manufacturing division, who were actually responsible for managing the system sent one of their NC programmers and the guy who was going to manage the system.

UG_training_cert_yauykl.jpg

Now this was in the days when you had a central mainframe, in this case a Data General S240 CPU. It had 128K of RAM and one 96Mb disc-drive (this used multi-platter removable disc-packs). We also had a Dataproducts lineprinter, Calcomp plotter, papertape reader/punch, 9-track reel-to-reel tape-backup system and a card-reader.

Our terminals were Tektronix 4014 displays, 19-inch, 4096 lines of resolutions display (AKA green screens):

4014_newer_ceirgx.jpg

4014_display_dpc7nc.jpg

This was before touch-pads or mice, you controlled the cursor using thumb-wheels and made selections by hitting the space-bar. You selected menu options, which were displayed on a small screen mounted above to the main screen, from a 32-button PFK (Programmed Function Keyboard).

We took our class at United Computing Company's headquarters in Carson, California, what used to be an old post office (I think there's an Ikea located there now):

United_Computing_skjy2m.jpg

For some of you, this probably goes back to before you were born, certainly before most of you may have even started to work in engineering and certainly before you got involved in CAD/CAM. In fact, many people are shocked to learn that this sort of stuff has been around as long as it it has. And for the record, the system we purchased in 1977 was used to both design and draft our products as well as program the numerous NC machines in our shop. Note that our company was one of the first dozen or so companies/organizations to buy a Unigraphics system (the precursor to NX). In fact, our company was the first company to buy a second system, the first was installed at our Peterborough, England facility and second in Saginaw (at one time we were the largest users of UG in the world with some five systems in two countries with something like 30 workstations}.

Note that the following week, we stayed and attended the SECOND annual Unigraphics Users Meeting which was held at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach. There were all of maybe 25 users there, seven of which worked for our company, five from our Saginaw division (one guy had to go home early) and two from Peterborough, who had flown over from the UK for the meeting.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the look back.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The good stuff lasts.

SDRC I-deas + UG was merging of greats. Used 'em all, NX is tops.

Its an honor to get answers to many of our questions from such an experienced guy in this community!

Huge respect

Very nice, I sure wish you still were at Siemens, they sure are still missing this great talent and were not able to replace you. I see videos of NX and I always think John would rocked this, vs a AI automated Computer voice. Hope you are enjoying you retirement.

Started my fall semester of my senior year at university later that month. One of my classes was 3D CAD using an Applicon 880 system. Since then I have used Computervision Cadds 4X, Unigraphics II, V3 through V18, NX4 and NX6 and PTC's Pro/Engineer 20002, 2001, Wildfire and Creo, currently playing with 9.0.5.0.
I have known John since 1985 when the company I worked for at the time went to Cypress for a demo, we ended up buying the first system installed on Digital VAXstations in 1987. Our qoute had the hardware listed as MDC-Special 1 and MDC-Special 2 as they had no part numbers assigned to the VAXstations yet.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I miss those PFK keys. The ones I had were made by HP and sat more parallel to the desk, but still angled.
I also liked the dials I had that were used for revolving, translating, panning, and zooming in space. I think there were 9 of them. But it was cool when the spaceball came along.
I started in UGv5 I believe in the year 1988.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1899

You mean these...

PFK_HP_iec9sb.jpg

HP_Dial_Box_jlzzqe.jpg

And as far as the 'Spaceball' in concerned, this was the original unit, the Series 1000, that we were asked to test before it was released. It was developed by an individual in Australia and Unigraphics was the first software that had an interface. They cost over $1,500 (this unit was still in the bottom drawer of my file cabinet when I retired).

Spaceball_1000_soeqbi.jpg

And then in 2003 they released the Series 2000, which was the first really successful version but it was still close to $1,000 each.

Spaceball_2000_eka149.jpg

Of course the price dropped like a rock when Logitech got involved and they introduced the 'Space Mouse'. Again, we were one of the first people to test this unit. This was the one that I was given to test and used it for several years...

Magellan_old_u3z8s3.jpg

...until they replaced it with a more modern version:

Magellan_new_qy2g0p.jpg

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

Yes, I used what are in the top two pictures when I started using UG, and then picture 4 was my first Spaceball.
As far as I remember our workstations were $65,000 each, but I could be wrong.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1899

Loved the PFK's, could punch a series of buttons and then take a break while it finished. No time lost. Don't forget the graphics processors for the Vax, big as a suitcase and kept you warm in the winter.

NX 1980 Windows 10

I just found something that I thought had been lost forever...

Back in 2000 I started to work on the 'Unigraphics Virtual Museum' website that some of you old timers might remember. I kept it up pretty good until 2002 when I sort let it drift. Eventually, the User Group, who was hosting the site for me, dropped support and I thought that ended it as I didn't really want to incur the expense of paying someone to host it myself (and I didn't want the company to host it as I wanted it to be independent and free from having to comply with company web posting rules). Now be assured that I've still got all the files and I had even started to think about updating it but never got any further than collecting some additional 'artifacts' for the museum.

However, today, while working on something else, I discovered that the 'Unigraphics Virtual Museum' is still up and running. It seems that it was cloned and copied onto a website known as the 'Wayback Machine'.

So if any of you are looking to really 'walk down memory lane', here's the link the 'lobby' of the 'Museum':

The first page is the 'Lobby' to my 'Virtual Museum' but from there it's pretty self-explanatory as to how to navigate around the 'museum'.

And Ben (Loosli) if you see this and you go to the link above, check out the link to the 'friends of the museum'.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

Back in 1990, when I started on Unigraphics, my co-worker had one of these and didn't want it, but I still do. Snip taken from the website, too much of a temptation to spend time on this site at work, thanks for sharing John.
coaster_fggpgu.jpg

NX 1980 Windows 10

John,
How many of those Friends of the Museum are still around?

I am working at my fourth company since those days of Ingersoll-Rand, which is now owned by Volvo.
The CAD industry has come a long way since I was involved with the initial purchase of UG-II V3.2 on the VaxStation/GPX in 1987. Our base machine had 9MB of memory and 2-153MB drives. The second machine was a 5MB diskless machine.

Ben Loosli

I thought I would have been able to remember the original 15 colors, but I am drawing a blank here.

1 blue
2 green
3 cyan
4 red
5 magenta
6 yellow
7 white
8 olive
9 pink
10 brown
12 purple ?
14 aquamarine ?

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1899

jerry1423 said:
I thought I would have been able to remember the original 15 colors, but I am drawing a blank here.

I know there was a dark red (or deep red?). I think there was also a dark blue, I don't remember if it had a special name... I think orange was also an option.

www.nxjournaling.com

I wasn't the product manager when UG went to 15 colors (remember that the 'Black' background was technically #16), however, I was the product manager when we expanded it to 216 colors, plus whatever color background that you wanted. And for the record, we got those colors from a website which specialized in helping software companies develop, particularly their user interfaces, so that it was easy for people to use. They also provided tools to make sure that critical aspects of an interface could still be used by people who were colorblind. They even provided alternate color tables, that you could swap-out to see the effect, which allowed non-colorblind people to experience what both red-green (the most common) and blue-yellow (rarer) colorblind people would see. They also provided a color table for monocromates, people who see no color at all, just shades of gray (the rarest form of colorblindness). Note that we provided these alternate tables, with the NX files, for people if they wished to experiment with how their models would look to those people who suffered from one of the types of colorblindness.

Note that my father was red-green color blind, which made for some interesting results when he would try to paint something in his shop ;-)

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

And something else that's still available, the YouTube library of old Unigraphics films and videos, which I've uploaded.

First is the original Unigraphics marketing film (this video was mastered from on old 16mm film). This was used starting in 1978. It was titled 'Unigraphics: The Total Solution' (a bit of an oversell):

This is the second marketing film that was made, again this video was mastered from a 16mm film. Note that it was produced in 1982 and I was one of the people assigned to work with the film crew as a technical assistant (there's even one shot of the back of my head as they needed some 'extras' to fill what was supposed to be a classroom of customers taking a UG class). This film was titled 'Unigraphics: Doorway to Growth', but we always referred to it as the 'Smoking Door' (watch to the end and you'll see why):

And here's a couple of promotional videos which were produced to support things like a new release or a trade show.

'Mission: Possible - Unigraphics at AUTOFACT 1990':

'Get The Power: Unigraphics 1996':

Anyway, have fun.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

I found on old SMD.def file that had this information in it:
! ( Pre-V17 values were: blue (1), green (2), cyan (3), red (4),
! magenta (5), yellow (6), white (7), olive (8),
! pink (9), brown (10), orange (11), purple (12),
! dark-red (13), aquamarine (14), gray (15) )

Ben Loosli

Yes, and (16) was the Black background. And UG V17, it went to 216 colors.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

I found a listing of all 216 colors, but didn't post it. 1-90 had numbers and names, the rest just names.

Ben Loosli

Thank you, Ben, so these are the original 15 Unigraphics colors. I was initially pretty close.
It is strange to see those all again.

1 blue
2 green
3 cyan
4 red
5 magenta
6 yellow
7 white
8 olive
9 pink
10 brown
11 orange