Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced degrees online 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

71corvette

Structural
Feb 26, 2003
US
I know this question has come up before, but I'd like to hear some objective opionions about pursuing advanced degrees online.

I've been wanting to get my MS in structural engineering for a while now but my options have been limited due to a lack of any nearby colleges or universities offering these types of courses.

Today, I recieved an e-mail from Eng-Tips describing an online degree program offered by Norwich University. Below is a link to their brocure:

I'd be interested to hear your opinions. It seems like a convienient way to get the degree, but I'm apprehensive about what appears to be a lack of flexability in the coursework (when compared to traditional programs). Also, in my experience professor-student interaction is key to a good education, especially when pursuing a graduate degree, and that this interaction would be limited when taking online courses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My advice, be cautious and research the hell out of any on-line degree program before committing any money. There are just too many scammers that prey after professional people with hectic schedules. A majority of these on-line degree programs have no recognized accreditation program.

I would suggest you stick with reputable and well established engineering universities that have on-line degree or certificate programs in engineering (The Ohio State University or University of IL, etc). These universities have the type of on-line program you are looking for to further your education.

A distance learning graduate program can be a very enriching experience if you have the right program and you have the determination and capability. I just completed my MS degree part time through distance learning and I believe that I got more out of that program than if I had simply stayed in school for another 18 months to get it. For one thing, I was able to apply SOME of the stuff I learned right away (the next day in some cases) because I had a job related to my degree and I could see direct relevance. Second, I was able to schedule my time to best fit my situation. Most of my classes were videotaped on campus so I could watch the videotapes around my schedule and plan my homework accordingly. Also, I could go back and re-watch anything I didn't understand-can't do that with an on-campus class. You might also be lucky enought to get your employer to pay for your program!

I was able to enter the program at the same university where I earned my BS so I was already familiar with most of my professors and their teaching style. Teacher-student interaction isn't as important in the graduate program because you are expected to learn the material more independently and develop your own thoughts.

All of the programs available will be different, some very drastically. You need to look for a program at a university that offers ABET accredited undergraduate degrees because the graduate programs are mostly taught by the same professors. You will probably find very few "accredited" distance learning graduate programs because ABET only accredits undergraduate or graduate programs, but not both. Universities will usually accredit their undergrad programs because they have a lot more students in them. Check out as many programs as you can and see which one fits your needs and life circumstances better. i.e. some programs offer videotapes, some completely online, some are teleconference. There are more and more "top" universities offering distance learning degrees so do some research.

I know a pretty good simulation guy who got his PhD from Georgia Tech through correspondence courses. Seemed to work alright for him.

Nothing to learn?? From any online course? Ever? Anywhere? Does that mean that you and I both already know everything that's on offer in any online course? I can see how maybe you do, but how could you possibly know that I already know it all?

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

Tinytim22 - I too am looking into the program at Norwich University. It seems almost too good to be true - ABET Accredited, Completely on-line (with exception of the residence week), a combination MBA/MS degree, and only 18 months long.

The fact that the program is new (that is, no one has graduated from it yet) bothers me a little. I also asked if I could make a visit to the campus to talk to some of the instructors and get a general feel for the program - I got the feeling that I'm the only guy asking to do this based on the awkward response I got.

I hope that you'll share any info. you gather on this with me as I'll do the same.

If you don't believe in on-line courses, then you will not learn anything. I believe you can learn a lot. I know some engineers that have MBA's, doesn't seem like they have learned anything!
It's what you get out of it.
Some on-line schools are better than others, you need to check into them.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Before embarking on an online program, check out what method/technology they utilize to teach the course. Blackboard , WebCT , or their own propriety program. Findout resources you need and what will be available.

I took University of Alaska AAnchorage Arctic Engineering CE603 online a few years ago. UAA uses Blackboard, I had enough bandwidth for Audio, and video at home and my office, but ran into problems when I stayed at hotels.

Blackboard is a good program, though expensive for the schools to license. I have utilzed Blackboard both as an Instructor and Student, I prefer it over WebCT. My wife a Professor prefers WebCT. Interact is another system that is utilized, it is not as easy to use nor does it have all the bells and whisles of Blackboard or WebCT but the license fee for the schools is low.

The technical support from the school is important when tacking an online course.

Vita sine litteris mors est.

I also talked to a person about Norwich, and like the person above said it is ABET certified. The reason the advisor was probably hesitant about meeting the professors, because since it is all online not the entire faculty is at Norwich, but can be all over the place.

I did ask about how the material was relayed to us, and it varies from web-based videos to PowerPoint notes, just depends on the professor. At almost 26K for the 18-month degree, the cost of the program is a little steep for most companies to shell out the money.

The program is based on the recommended ASCE guidelines, but was unsure of what shows on the degree like M.S. or a dual degree of MS/MBA.

Thanks for your input everyone, it's been helpful. Unlike some, I have LOTS left to learn...

I've given the Norwich program a little thought and have decided I want something with a little more flexability in course selection and one that has a little more history

If anyone out there has personal experience in gaining an online degree I would be interested in hearing what they thought of the courses.

Corus, that goecities website is my own. The brocure isn't available for download without first giving a bunch of info on the website so I posted it there for viewing.

Like Jpankask, I took a video graduate course and it was a very positive experience. Since I worked full time, it was a great help to watch the video according to my own schedule and to be able to go back over it. We could write or call in questions and they were always covered in class.

There was no difference in instruction, course materials, work load, and deadlines between the two methods.

Never tried an online course. Maybe I will. Sounds like it could be better than a video course.

I would not go for any strictly online courses personally because I prefer being in the classroom with professors and engineers to guide my education. That's my personal preference.

My university does however have another take on online courses. All of our graduate classes, and some undergrad, are digitally recorded for the purpose of transmission to other state colleges and universities. The full class is also available for streaming or downloading from a university site. I can actually download my classes and watch them any time I want to in the event that I miss one. I could watch online the whole semester and only show up for tests and to make sure my homework is in ontime. This makes it much easier to earn a graduate degree when you work full time but it isn't as impersonal or removed from the classroom as a typical online course. If a university in your area offers a similar set-up I would go for that any day over an online degree.

One should ask "Why do I need to pursue advanced degree?"

Is it pursuit of knowledge? Want another trophy to add to your collection? Want to "look better" in a resume compared to those who don't hold advanced degrees? Want to climb the career ladder faster?

People pursue advanced degrees for many reasons. But if you are pursuing additional knowledge related to your career, there are many sites available online where you can gain information for FREE (Filter out the junk though).

If an accredited degree is absolutely necessary for whatever reason, I would recommend attending an accredited university that offers night classes. Like UcfSE, I would much prefer "live" lectures with human interaction over online or video courses.

My final year at uni I only attended one lecture course consistently, the rest I learnt in the library, tutorials and the lab. So, I can see that the lectures would be OK, and if you don't need 4 tons of steel for your experiments and restricted yourself to computer simulations (which I think would be a VERY BAD idea for an advanced degree) I guess it makes sense.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I believe the statistic for completion of correspondence courses in general is 5% - few people are self disiplined enough to study hundreds of hours on there own - that why classroom teaching was invented. There is a MUCH greater tendency to show up for a class at a repeative place/time than if the class can be done any place/any time.

Videos, web learning - better but you are still learning alone and there is that important football game on the telly tonight . . .

Maybe if you created a local group of students who would meet EVERY week at a certain time/place to help each other and discuss/complain about the text, notes or prof.

Just to be the devil's advocate, how many times have you gone to a class and had the professor not show up or waste half the time going off on a tangent? A well-planned online course could filter that out. Wouldn't help a video, though.

I currently am pursuing a masters from the University of Florida through distance learning. Classes are streamed online or mailed in a DVD. It is just a video of the class taught through traditional methods. I find it works well. In my experience there isn't much interaction in engineering classes, questions asked by students are few and cursory. Most is just listening and taking notes so it doesn't matter if you're in class or watching from home. Most questions are asked outside of class, and that's what email and the telephone are for. There is a thesis and non-thesis option at my school, I'm doing the latter. I think if you did a thesis things would be a lot more difficult.

Several other Florida schools have engineering programs like this and GA Tech as well. The teachers at UF are very understanding about turning in late homework and rescheduling tests due to conflicts with work. Tests are administered through an approved proctor, I have a colleague at work that does them and have had a supervisor proctor too.

Online degrees are definitely doable if you have the right type of personality for them. There are people out there it probably wouldn't work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back