Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another drone takes down another helicopter 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
Not the first time.
In its report, the NTSB noted that it has now completed three investigations where a collision with a drone has been confirmed, and gathered information on two other collisions where the evidence is consistent with a drone strike.

The drone was operating above 400 feet AGL in airspace that did not permit this, and at night when this is not normally permitted either. The type of drone that probably hit the helicopter (based on the damage) is not the kind that would be equipped with proper anti-collision lights that would make night flight possible.

Here is another example, probably not in the NTSB count - although a much more avoidable one that should not have happened.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't it hard to see a drone close up when moving at 130knts. And hard to see small things when they far away. I think it wasnt so close, or ... it was a big one!

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

JohnRBaker said:
The brazen eagle vs. EGLE drone

Seriously, the drone was called EGLE? That is too funny

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I can fully understand the eagle taking out the drone because it was orange.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I saw a lot of orange drones nesting in a tree.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

That either goes to a level of irony beyond mere mortals or is an indication of total cluelessness.
Will you accept "Inappropriate satire", David?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

This appears to have been an actual collision between a drone and an police chopper over Los Angeles back in September. This is believed to be the first drone operator to face criminal charges for improper operation of a drone resulting in a mid-air accident:

Hollywood Man Arrested For Crashing Drone Into LAPD Chopper

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

According to the rules, it looks like choppers can fly below the ceiling if done safely... from the damage, it looks like the chopper ran into the drone... maybe they weren't flying so safely?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

That's what I suspect as well dik.

From what a I can tell any local or national agency operation seems to think that the rules apply to everyone else but them.

The helicopter will have been blow the 300ft ceiling travelling reasonably quickly.

So it will be interesting see what they actually try and pin on him.

He really doesn't seem to be the type that would process a powerful very expensive drone that can go serious distance or that high. And please don't read anything derogatory or nasty in anyway into that statement. I am in exactly the same club as him.

He's already been charged...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

He has but the charge is a first of unsafely operating a drone.

I believe if the FBI are involved its a federal crime?

If he had busted any of the other FAA reg's then he would have been taken for that which says to me that he was below 300ft. If he didn't have lights he would have been done for that.

"unsafely operating a drone" is just open ended and sounds like they want to get a test case through to get something on the books by someone that can't afford to pay for big hitting lawyers.

I thought he just said he put it up to see what was going on?

They should charge the Helicopter pilot as well for flying under 300ft and at speed not for the purpose of takeoff and landing and not keeping a good look out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back