Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembling two soil parts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MirBG

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2006
IT
Hi all, I need a help for my consolidation problem. I don't know how to assembly two different parts of soil, because my job finishes with an error of overconstrains, using penalty friction.
Could you suggest any possible solution?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have tried to solve my consolidation problem, considering two different ways: first I have used an orphan mesh of the entire embankment and divided it in many pieces, activating gravity of them in different steps. In the second way, I considered the embankment divided in many parts and assemblied them using constraints. In both case the jobs failed.
Could you suggest the better way to work in consolidation problem of different soil layers?

What i would do to model a similar problem (if you assume a perfect contact between embankment and soil)is that, draw the whole model (embankment and soil) as one part, use partitions to identify different soil layer and embankment properties. Deactivate the embankment set in the first step (as if you only ignore its self weight ,that would imply its properties are still active adding to soil strength). then activate it in whatever you step you want.
until now no problems in the consolidation model should arrise unless there is something else wrong in the model. i noticed one of your threads where you are having a zero pivot problem arising which as i told you it could be a problem of the element you are using or the units..try this method and tell me if something wrong happens

Ok. I build the embankment and the soil bedrock in a single part and I divide them with a partition. I introduce the initial conditions of the geostatic state editing the keywords , but after this step I haven't well understood if I must activate gravity in different geostatic steps. Haven't I activated the self weight with the initial conditions of geostatic stress? I'm a little bit confused with the right things to do for a correct consolidation.
You suggested me to deactivate the embankment set initially. How can I do it?

hi
you can leave gravity activated all times...you'd need to deactivate the whole embankment during the first step(check model change command in abaqus) and start activating its sets step by step (assume for example that the embankment hieght is 6 m..and you are building it 2 m by 2 m..so you should divide the embankment to 3 sets 2 m each..and activate them one by one in each step)

lets assume the whole embankment set is called emb..and then you divided it into 3 sets (2m each)emb1,emb2,emb3
so during the first step in you analysis
step1
*model change, type=element, remove
emb
step2
*model change, type=element, add
emb1
step3
emb2
step4