Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Statics Problem Help 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techne

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2005
I am charged with designing a catwalk that will support not only the weights of the beams and grating, the people, but also a 5800 lb filter press.

The press rests on two beams as shown in the picture below.

Does all 5800 lbs rest on each beam? I can't seem to remember how to determine where the weight is in order to size the beam. I've been out of college 2 years now and the cobwebs are pretty thick. Thanks for any help in the right direction.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would hope that the more senior members of the engineering community (which I hope frequent this board) would be willing to pass on the knowledge to the next generation and prevent the next Hyatt-Regency Collapse or Tacoma Narrows bridge.

This site really isn't for mentoring young, inexperienced engineers. The site is for engineering professionals...i.e. someone who is well versed in engineering but has a question about a unique issue or simply needs someone to point them in the right direction on a problem.

Your question is one of basic analysis and you should be mentored in this by a direct supervisor who also has the experience to teach you. If you don't have that kind of mentor (you called him/her a facilities manager), then you shouldn't be designing this stuff in the first place and you should go hire a structural engineer.

Just my 2 "sense"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back