Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Becoming Invisible 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

casseopeia

Structural
Jan 4, 2005
US

Why is it when someone has been laid off, it instantly renders them invisible?

I got the word this morning, I’m out of a job. But I have to stay on for a week or two until my testimony as an expert in an on-going trial is completed. I told my office partner and one co-worker who has been expecting the ax as I have. I have now become invisible. No one talks to me. No one even looks up when I walk by. It wasn’t like this on Friday.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Racecar driver Robby Gordon (not to be confused with Jeff Gordon) once said: "You don't have any friends at 200mph".

I also wonder how much faith a court would have with a witness who was testifying "at the point of a gun". Best to keep you on the payroll (in one way or the other) for the duration of the case.

Sorry to hear about the job loss Cass but the way it is playing out seems off to me. When I was RIF'd, they walked me out that day to return at a later time (with security) to collect my things. This sounds like torture to me.

I think everyone is avoiding you out of fear that the lay off 'bug' is contagious.

Also, if you haven't signed anything renegotiating a contract to stay on, why are you obligated to do anything for these people under your current salary? You have been laid off, to me that means you should be getting contractor's fees. They need you. As for the court case, you were let go, you did not quit. The company is required to have representation right but not necessarily you.

Good luck!

A layoff may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. It's very liberating.

I suspect there are more jobs out there now than people think. Go find a good one!

livingston,

No, it has to be me in court. A Declaration of Expert Witness was filed a long time ago and the attorneys would have to refile a substitution, which I guess would delay things even more for a new discovery phase on the expert substitution. It’s possible, just very complicated since the trial is already in progress. Fortunately for me, no one else was involved in the site inspection, generally considered a requirement for testimony. Never having been involved in the investigation phase is considered a serious liability that the opposing council can use to their advantage.

Actually, I think my coworkers are getting over the initial shock and things have gotten a bit better.

It's very likely that your co-workers simply didn't know what to say - it's a common thing with deaths of family, too. People truly don't know what to say, so they either avoid you completely, or blather on with verbose meaningless platitudes.

Your best option is simply to carry on as normal, except that you can spend your time at work looking for work, without any negative ramifications.

This is what you said at the outset.
I have to stay on for a week or two until my testimony as an expert in an on-going trial is completed.
In response to comments you said:
A Declaration of Expert Witness was filed a long time ago and the attorneys would have to refile a substitution, which I guess would delay things even more for a new discovery phase on the expert substitution.
And the problem is yours?

But you also said:
My boss didn't even ask about the trial. He had assumed it settled. He wasn't at our last biweekly staff meeting where I gave a report on where my ongoing cases stood.

So, let me get this right.

You were called in and told you were canned.
Did they give it to you in writing with a declaration of when you were to be gone by?

Did they then say "Clear your desk, you can go home today but just hand over any outstanding work to someone."?

It seems your boss was not aware of any court work. I have to assume he wasn't saying, "You are canned but we expect you to work your notice period." I mean, how many companies do that?

So, the next bit is presumably where you say "But I've got this case coming up."
And the boss says, "fine, you'd better hang on till that's completed."?

The reality is the boss should, having made a decision, acted immediately on it and then dealt with any issues in a fair and decent manner, not just exploited your good nature and he should have allowed you some time to think about the situation as he himself should have done.

Fair means either bringing you back on contract at appropriate rates where you control your spare time or it means requesting you allow them to rescind your notice until the case is over but agreeing a guaranteed separation bonus.

Once you had that notice, you were history.

So do you now have a new notice to quite but with lots of ifs and buts in it to cater for the trial?

Have they made any gesture toward you?

JMW

jmw, I don’t even want to tell you the latest with this Clu$t*r F^@k. I’m embarrassed for my employer. I was a majority stockholder and executive officer of a corporation twice the size of this mom and pop shop I work for and I’m horrified by their lack of management training.

Right away on Monday I requested the following information;

1. amount of unused vacation pay
2. amount of severance pay (my boss mentioned 2 weeks)
3. date of my last day of employment (gave them the option of making it 2-3 days after my testimony with that day being somewhat unknown, but likely to occur first week in July. Because of delays and a court recess, that date has now been moved to somewhere during July 16-22.
4. amount of my CalCOBRA payment, assuming that I would be paying my insurance premium x 110% x 35%.
5. when my COBRA payments will start (30-60 days after termination, generally but who knows)
6. if dental insurance also subsidized at 65% for the 9 months that health care is

To date, nearly a week later, I know the answer to #4 only. My COBRA payment for health care, not including dental, would be around $351/month. I’ve been at my dentist’s office three days this week maxing out my dental benefit for the year since I’m not sure if I’ll keep the dental plan. I’d like to if I can start an implant (it’s covered at 50%) in January. Not many plans cover implants.

I asked our HR person yesterday about the other items and she said, “I asked one of the partners and he told me to go ask your boss.” On Wednesday my boss left two BRAND NEW CASES with a note to cover them while he’s gone, out of the country, and unavailable by phone or email. Unbelievable! He told me I was laid off, gave me work to do while he’s gone, then skipped town. I have no words that adequately describe my sentiments. Incomprehensible!

I actually need the answer to 3, 4 and 5 to calculate whether it’s better to stay or leave and work on a consulting basis. I’m guessing that my health insurance is paid around the first of the month, so that gives me good reason to stay at least through the July 5.

The problem with the consulting work is that I don’t have enough to bill whole days. And testimony pay is only for the actual time on the stand. The longer trial is delayed, the better for me because I still receive a salary. As a consultant, I'd be sitting here getting zero. And it really doesn’t prevent me from spending the day as I want, except for those new cases to inspect.

It also gives me a bit of cushion to decide what to do about where I’m going to live. My rent is $1,800/month, the exact amount of my unemployment benefit. So I’ll be moving, just not sure where...

Too many questions and not enough answers.

Ass,

Wow your experience was so similar to mine. I got laid off, but needed to work another week to finish off some work loose ends.

Everyone seemed to talk to me much much less. It is not just an American thing.

You should really look at the employment law to see if they can legally expect you to work during the notice period e.t.c.

It's OK by me, made me laugh. But then maybe I am an ass for staying on and trying to do the decent thing.

Sorry, that one obviously wasnt meant for you Cass!

Sometimes its worth staying on that bit just to make sure things are properly handed over and you keep a good rep with clients.

You know, the way your boss is, they'll forget they fired you.
Sinc you've gone down this route, you might just as well keep turning up for work.

But, do you have a written indication of when you employment terminates?
The moment you got that the first time, you contract ended.
When they asked you to stay on that technically constitutes proposing a new contract of employment.
Negotiate. (too late now?)
If this case hangs on then they have it all to do again: Negotiate. Don't let it slide next time. If you can sort out Crystal Beth etc. you can sort these guys out witout breaking into a sweat.

JMW

No, nothing in writing and when confronted with the questions I listed above, the two partners who are in the office scurried for cover under a piece of furniture like roaches.

Cowards

I just don't want to be another Milton. On second thought, life turns out pretty sweet in the end for Milton. Now where did I put those matches.....

Milton Waddams: Mr. Lumbergh told me to talk to payroll and then payroll told me to talk to Mr. Lumbergh and I still haven't received my paycheck and he took my stapler and he never brought it back and then they moved my desk to storage room B and there was garbage on it... I could set the building on fire.

Nothing in writing?
Nothing....?
Cass, Cass...

Does anyone know where there are some post office special AKs?
Yes? Then send one to Cass with some banana clips.

Bottom line, the smart, sensitive, conscientious and professional ones are the victims in this world; victims of brown-nosers, bad managers and fluffy animals.

JMW

Maybe it was just your evil twin sister that was fired...

Get far enough into those other new cases that you have to stay until they are finished. Enjoy life in limbo, you can't be fired again until you are hired again, so follow the rules at work that work for you and ignore the rest; you are, after all, only there as a favor to them any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back