Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can I Add MMB to Datum A to get Datum shift to Facilitate Bigger Diameter during Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020Learner

Automotive
Jun 27, 2021
HK
Hello Team,

I have a question on the attached picture. CAn I make Datum "A"(Dai. 40) as MMB to get DAtum Shift to facilitate Assembly of bigger Diameter (Dia.90) with counterpart during Assembly?. This is Sheet Metal part.

Datumm_Shift_10-8-2021_jyjamj.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may get a better response here -> forum1103

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Hello drawoh,

this is only one 1.5 mm thickness single sheet halfshell(Front view & left side view). there is one more halfshell which fits from right side to a depth of 6mm

regards,
2020Learner

2020Learner,

Your piece is not what I would call sheet metal. You are fabricating from sheet metal, but the fabrication process is deep drawing, a progressive die, or some guy with a hammer and forge.

I think your datum[ ]A feature is a spherical radius, not a flat one. It is not a feature of size. MMB is meaningless unless it is being measured from some other datum features.

Your part is sort of like a casting in that it is wildly non-orthogonal. Your best bet would be to define datum targets somewhere. Datum targets will give you a practical fixture from which to inspect your part. MMB may not be a useful concept here. It sounds like you have a maximum allowable spherical radius.

--
JHG

drawoh (Mechanical,

Thank you for your reply and Sorry I am replying late. I somewhat agree with you but here is my explaination.
Yes you are right, this shape is achieved by stamping process of 1.5 thickness sheet metal part. Datum A is half circled profile of Diameter 40mm.
For Datum A,I have applied profile tolerance of 1 acting on ID of dia40 so we will get two Size right?, i means there are two sizes, One is Dia41 and Dia 39. So when i use Expanding Mandril at Datum A(RMB) & Datum B(RMB), After Stamping, part will be rigid in gauge(deviated part) or during Assembly right?

Hence i want to apply MMB for Datum A & Datum B (Gauge will be fixed at MMB) hence there will some gap between Gauge and the part (if part departs from MMB). This gap (shift at Datum A & Datum B) will facilitate to pass inspection or to assemble with counterpart of similar contour.

Thanks,
2020Learner

MMB only helps if the mating part is to have clearance up to the amount of the deviation from the minimum contour - in other words, if it's OK that the mating part has a sloppy fit.

Thank you 3DDave.

Initially I thought this will work for DAtum Shift according to the datums mentioned. This is fabricated part, Now datum targets were provided for this part.

Thank you all for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back