Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Car carrier on fire 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they should disconnect the batteries on thousands of cars crammed in a box. Perhaps the manufactures should install simple disconnects on every car.

Or, the shipping company should pay for every lost car. Then maybe they'd enforce a functional fire-watch.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I'm not surprised, given issues with batteries. There should also be a universal and international registration of vessels. The rechargeable battery charger for my snowblower has a fan cooling circuit as part of the charger to reduce the chances of over heating.[pipe]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thanks Hokie... didn't know the percentage... I wonder why?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Ro/Ro ships have notoriously had issues with fires. I spent some time working on one. 1/4 tank of gas max for all vehicles on the ship. We had a CO2 fire suppression system. It was sized for one compartment and the ship consisted of 6 compartments. Fixed CO2 systems rely on a lot of things going right to be effective. I don't know if any Ro/Do ships that use systems such as Halon or it's successors for cargo hold protection due to cost.

There goes my Porsche - bugger 😉

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Its funny with cars full of fuel.

This side of the pond they say they are at there most dangerous when they are partial filled. When its full they don't explode. Empty they have enough vapour to go bang.

Those are all new so suspect they will only have a couple of litres in them.

dik said:
Thanks Hokie... didn't know the percentage... I wonder why?

Its a lot cheaper to make them, I think I read somewhere that a cruise ship on the American registry would cost 3 times as much as one built in Japan and Panama registered.

Too bad Artisi. I get a shot at it. With the storm front coming in, maybe I'll be able to snag one.
Screenshot_20220219-092141_Brave_pqh0on.jpg

If I get 2, I'll let you know.
Full tanks or not, they'll burn either way. Just a load of popcorn.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher.

The German media are say it's mostly high-end cars onboard.

Plus some electric.

Tugs on there way but 2-3 days until they get there.

Lots of weather too.
4m waves.

Screenshot_20220219-095312_Brave_u6dm9g.jpg

I'm calculating drift course.

dik said:
fan cooling circuit as part of the charger to reduce the chances of over heating

Which means when the fan dies (and they ALWAYS DIE) you have a total disaster. A fan is not an improvement.

I think that ship should be torpedoed immediately. I believe the gross pollution would be minimized with it all a couple of thousand feet on the bottom. Then I'd fry the shipping company for the pollution caused by allowing a major fire to break out.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks for the 'heads-up'. I thought it was a neat safety item.

-Dik

The fan has to die, or it feeds the flames with O2.

Theres a lot of weather out here this week. We're getting waves of fog, low cloud, wind and rain today, forecast for tomorrow and Monday. Then more for Wednesday-Thurs. Only lows of 14° here, but there'll be a lot of snow upstairs. Snow line is dropping from 2000 to 1700m, which is lower than the top of the valley at Puerto la Cruz-Orotava and only 1000m above Tenerife North Airport. Vilaflor, at 1700m is the highest town in Spain, on the south face of the peak, should get well dusted. Azores are quite farther NW, so probably much worse there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back