Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Changing mundane work to challenging work where our talents and skills are used! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mech5656

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2014
US
Hello Everyone,

I have 12 years of experience in engineering and hold a Professional Engineer (PE) license in Mechanical Engineering.

About five months ago, I started a new position with a smaller company that has 35 employees. While the pay is good, the work has been very repetitive and mundane. I feel that my skills and talents are not being fully utilized.

I believe one way to address this is by coming up with productive projects and changes and discussing them with my supervisor about applying them.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What would you recommend?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Highly depends on the type of company and its goals and culture.
If you make proposals, then need to be well thought out from a business standpoint. "Here are ____ issues/whatnot that are costing the company __$ / lost business; these ___ are the proposed things / projects / improvements that I recommend; it will take ___ $ and resources to implement and the payback with be ____."
The other option is to look for a position at a different company.

Thank you so much for replying to this post. The company makes custom made gasket per customer provided drawings using rectangular gasket sheets and the cutting machine. Thanks

I would have to ask what were you expecting or told about your work and the options for expansion or variety?

Assuming they make every thing that sounds like an engineering depth of about 5?

But unless there is some serious expansion planned are they just happy to plug along doing what they do? Is there any real appetite for change or improvement or growth?

Why did you join them?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

You have your PE, have you used it?

If you believe in your talents and skills, the market is the equivalent of an Open Tournament: bring your best game, see where you go.

Small companies are a wildcard IME. Whereas large companies are constantly changing people/process and value facts/profit above opinion, small companies are often mini-fiefdoms that abhor change and ignore opportunities based on the boss' opinion. Granted, some small companies can be golden opportunities, but I'd be wary until you understand both the culture and business.

No offense, but I view PE work as a generally stable and reliable work, but not a segment where interesting and innovative things are happening. PE stamped designs are focused on safety, compliance to codes, and tested-and-true methods. Most innovations are not going to thrive in that bureaucracy because the owners of those companies are incentivized to focus on the lowest risk work.

I know my company gets some work PE stamped and they are very routine designs.

I agree with the others to look at internal improvement opportunities. Are there additional industry compliances your company might find valuable?

CWB1 said:
Whereas large companies are constantly changing people/process and value facts/profit above opinion, small companies are often mini-fiefdoms that abhor change and ignore opportunities based on the boss' opinion.

I work at a Fortune 250 company with about 250 sites across the globe... my team is still deploying crap created in the 90's that breaks every single current best practice in that area. Some large companies will be open to change processes, not everyone.

Technical risk management varies widely among companies regardless of size. It is essential to corporate culture.

Some big companies largely ignore risks and rely on their size and unresponsiveness to 'resolve' bad sales. When risks don't work out they cut employees to cover their losses and keep stockholders happy. Other companies honor warranties and work for customer satisfaction, and these companies tend to be risk averse (or at least, try to not repeat the exact combination that caused their worst warranties).

Likewise with small companies. If the owner developed by avoiding risk and had the opportunity to build on steady low-risk work, they will keep at it. Likewise, if the owner built the company by taking risks they tend to continue doing so as an integral view of their market.

All of that said, companies putting out PE stamped work have major legal and personal motivations to avoid risk. While the actual mechanics of how they avoid risk is also variable (do they rely on designs that have worked for decades, or some other body of best practices), it's still risk avoidance.

Dear Engieers:

Thank you all for your feedback. I joined this job only six months ago, and I plan to stay for at least three years to ensure it reflects well on my resume. Afterward, I intend to look for another company. Having been out of college for 12 years and working at five different companies, my goal is to secure a position at a company where I can eventually retire. I aim to join a large organization with opportunities for career advancement and challenging work. Do you have any suggestions? I realize I can't keep changing jobs every few years. After 12 years in the workforce, I feel the need to settle into a position where I can retire. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

After 12 years and 5 companies, I'd place you at senior or mid-senior level. If you're aiming to join a large organization (don't know what size, you refer to as large) then you'd have to either have a solid portfolio/resume OR know someone there who can refer you. I say this because you won't come "cheap" and should be worth as there will be other folks probably younger and cheaper than you and are yet slightly equally skilled. Large corps typically try to recruit the young and smart to maximize profit margins $$$$.

That being said, there are probably other valuable skills you possess that places you at the top. You might want to do some self-evaluation and see which you fit best and not exactly where you want to be. I (heavy emphasis on I) don't believe everyone can be or get the position they want regardless of how passionate they think they are. You can be passionate about A but the lack the skills yet have extra-ordinary skills for B which you dislike. You can explore both A and B early stages of your career, but you lose that luxury once you've been deep into one. Nonetheless, if you think you can easily translation the skills in A to B then go for it. Don't make decisions on emotions, use logic.

Why have you changed 5 jobs in 12 years? 5 jobs in 12 years, that's averagely 2.4 years per job, what shows you won't leave us [thinking as a corp asking you this]?
How'd you rate your growth over the 12 years? Which significant project have you worked on that you think you can use that to make a case of your skills? How do you rate your knowledge or skills? If technical, how are your technical skills? If managerial, how are your managerial skills? Answering such questions will help reflect on how to approach things.

All that was said is by a young engineer who just joined the engineering industry. My perspective might not relative reality and I may lack the foresight that comes with experience. Feel free to do you. Hoping others can share their opinions later as well. Wishing you the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back