Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chrysler Engineering reputation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thruthefence

Aerospace
May 11, 2005
US
Years ago part of Chrysler's marketing, was it's engineering expertise. Is it deserved, either in the 1950's, or today? I had an uncle, would only buy THEIR products, and gushed about "Superior Engineering" at every family gathering. Can someone point to specific advances that would give them this cache'. Or, is there more "sizzle" then "steak" ? Mass produced the "hemi" engine, pretty good automatic transmission; anymore?? Seems like they had an electronic fuel injection system, predating Bosch, in the early '50's?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah, septics not understanding my jokes, makes me proud to be British.

I had a Chrysler once. Worst POS I have ever owned (all I could afford at the time). In some ways I was glad when my left turn was intercepted by a Dodge running through the red light. Two crap Chrysler cars killed with one stone.

- Steve

SG - I had rather better experience with a '64 Dodge that was first my Dad's, then my Mom's when he bought another one, mine for a little over a year when I got married and moved out of the house, and my wife's for about a year after that.

Decent enough car overall, but it still wasn't enough to keep me brand-loyal to the pentastar, as I have not owned one since selling it.

On the other hand, my Dad has never owned anything except Dodges for the family's primary transportation since '58. He's currently driving a Neon.

Norm

Greg:

Not too sure of the details yet. The way it was explained to me, it doesn't quite make total sense. If a component fails then the component supplier is responsible for warranty replacement cost. So rather than the cost of the component, they would also have to cover replacement cost, documentation cost, etc. That isn't cheap. Where it's fuzzy to me is where it's an interactive component and not a standalone failure. For example, an axle tube may crack but was it from improper use/loading or from a faulty axle tube? Microstructural analysis will show some of that, but at the cost of such who is going to go into that detail. For onesy-twosies, maybe. But at hundreds of dollars per analysis to justify not paying, that has the potential to be a lot of $$$. I'm guessing the component supplier will accept the hit, pay the $, and jump up the margin to cover an expected # of service failures (meaning a more expensive car, right?). Just curious if anyone from the OEM side knows the full details as I don't know that I'm getting the entire picture.

I suggest you reread my post as you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. Getting suppliers to stump up for broken parts is very hard work for the OEM and usually doesn't happen.

Cheers

Greg Locock

I rarely exceed 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back