Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Climate change political solutions. Australia goes down the gurgler. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
Our glorious new ruling party is about to enshrine a 43% reduction in CO2 by 2030. They are also, in a fit of not joined up thinking, intend to increase the population by 4% in the same time frame, by immigration. They'd also like to see more tourists.

I suggest by 2027 the entire target net zero project will have been repeatedly demonstrated to be effectively impossible, and of course meaningless, so it's time to get the beer and popcorn out.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Found the numbers for Natural Gas consumption, but could not find a carbon footprint, but there should be a close correlation between consumption and CO[sub]2[/sub] production. Based on consumption per million. Canada, Russia and the US at the top, with China at 8.3% the US value. I need to find the petroleum numbers.: [pipe]

Clipboard01_smo5nb.jpg

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

You may understand the meaning of 'carbon footprint', but I don't. That chart, from somewhere and from some date, is about natural gas consumption and number of coal plants. How do you go from natural gas and number of coal generators to this so called 'carbon footprint'?

Coal vs methane.

The theoretical carbon emissions are calculated by the stoichiometry. You then normalize it per energy output.

Coal has additional nasty side effects, both in the getting of it and the burning.

Methane has the problem when released unburned of being a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. That comes from leaks, from extraction and from either end of a cow.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Twitter out twitted.

so, a few things have happened since the 43% legislation started its no doubt long but straightforward path into law- the opposition is reexamining its stance on nuclear power, the PM has stopped mentioning the $275 reduction in power bills (he's got a mandate for that!), and this was published in the Oz

Sustainable path to powering nation is plug-and-play
STEPHEN ANTHONY and ALEX CORAM

or

Given our fellow Australians appear to want to remove carbon dioxide emissions from our national electricity grid, it is strange that there is no rigorous estimate of the economic cost of doing so. Instead we have little more than a policy crayon drawing plan for the path to an emissions-free grid. Truly odd.
A rough estimate of the long-run cost to Australia of getting a grid based on solar and wind is that it may be about $700bn.

I'm a bit leery of it, it is promoting a seemingly non existent thermal storage company called Sunlands (15 minutes of googling) as a solution. However $700B is in the ballpark.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

We were all taught that gurglers down under rotate opposite to those in the N hemisphere, but I see a lot of similarities between Aussie and Yankee downward spirals.

Can the OP clarify pls?

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

You're referring to the Coriolis effect but that it effects the direction of gurgling has been thoroughly debunked. What else would you like to learn, brim?

Statistically maybe... the irrotational vortex does that by coriolis acceleration... I'm not sure what coriolis effects are on small vortices? [pipe]

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I finally found the numbers. These are 2020 values, so relatively recent:

Clipboard01_whcxp4.jpg

China per capita uses about 40% more coal than the US and less than Australia, and Canada uses less than half the US. Canada uses nearly the same Oil and Gas as the US and China only uses a fraction. India is down near the bottom.

-Dik

Thanks Tug, that's why I said statistially, maybe... The qualifier at the end of my statement was that I don't know how big a vortex has to be before it is significant. I do understand that because of the length of oil tankers, coriolis may come into play. Was already aware that, as always, size matters. [pipe]

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back