Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cooling system help for auto engine conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

13BQuickie

Aug 4, 2001
US
I am installing a Mazda 13B in a homebuilt airplane and I am having trouble deciding how to best assemble the components. The real problem is what order to plumb in the Setrab LOC (oil-to-water) cooler in relation to the radiator. Should it be before the radiator or after? If it is before the delta of the water will be lower and thus the oil temp higher. If after, the water delta will be higher and thus the oil temp lower, but the heat will be routed back through the engine. The Mazda cools the rotors with oil, so about 1/3 of the cooling system is handled by the oil. The engine will be approximately 190hp.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there are a couple of user groups that talk about these problems - search under 'Soob' or Subaru (popular auto A/C engine) and the magazine Contact! Lots of 'been there, done that' testimonials. Aviod the 'I heard that the way to do that is...' statements; nothing is better than actually trying the hardware in flight, and one test IS worth a hundred expert opinions. There are even facts about whether an oil/water cooler is necessary or useful. Good luck and fly safe!

Dos Canis,
Thanks for the tips. I am already on the flyrotary list, but I was seeking some different veiws on the subject. A lot of the aviation community tends to cling to an idea that works whether it is the best solution to a problem or not, a good example being magnetos that have to be rebuilt every 400 hrs are considered to be more reliable than an electronic ignition which may go for 200,000 miles plus in a car without any sort of wear or failure.
I am indeed basing my installation on a combination of flying and successful conversions. I am using a cooling system based on Tim England's Chevy V-6 Velocity, an engine mount based on Ed Anderson's rotary RV-6 and Neil Kruswyck's rotary 235 Lancair, and I am using Tracy Crook's redrive and engine computer. It's kind of like putting together a big jigsaw puzzle, but there is no picture and you have to cut the parts to fit! Mike C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back