Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Covey's - 7 Habits 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

madkungfu

Electrical
Mar 30, 2003
US
I was wondering how many people actively organize/prioritize thier goals. Most of the people I work with have a nice shiny planner, but essentially it is a calendar and address book. I have read Covey's Seven Habits book and he has a fairly complex and time consuming method for planning and choosing where to spend you energies. I read the book, it all made perfect sense, but in my rush to finish the book and thus reach my HIGHLY EFFECTIVE ranking, I didn't spend a lot of time soul-searching to do the exercises. I am amazed by how many people have read the book, just check out the amazon sale ranking. If I had to guess though, I would assume that the percentage of people who really changed their behaviors, and follow the book to a T is in the single digits or a fraction of a percent. I have pretty good luck prioritizing my tasks using outlook, but I haven't adopted the 7-Habits methodology fully. Even if you haven't read the book, I'd appreciate any feedback on formal methods people use to set, prioritize, and achieve their goals. Thanks.

MadKungFu AHEP (Aspiring Highly Effective Person)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am most concerned about my own well-being. This is what drives my efforts to improve at my profession.

In my job, I am constantly responsible for multiple design, estimating, and tooling projects. Often, the priorities (and those setting them) are in conflict. I would not survive if I did not make a list of tasks, force a meeting of those whose needs must be met, and together rank the tasks on the list. This is for my benefit and for the benefit of those depending on me.

[bat]All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted.[bat]

The plan is your roadmap to success. Without it you can get sidetracked and lost doing things that don't matter. Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary.

Covey is a lot of feel good stuff that can make a difference in your own life. Some people really get so caught up trying to apply all 7 principles that they become uneffective. Just use them as guideposts and save money getting a used copy on Amazon or half.com.

The first goal in your working life is to have a nice shiny planner that will impress people and make them think that you are organized. The second goal in your working life is to make sure that no one looks inside the nice shiny planner or else they'll find out that it's just a calendar with your mother's birthday in it.
The important aspect of Covey's book is not to read it but to leave it on your desk. If any one asks then say it's to roadmap your synergies towards ELA. To anyone who's read the book it'll make perfect sense.
Try not to show your organizational skills by individually naming each paper clip though as this shows a tendency to megalomania and eventual depression as Harry goes missing yet again.
Personally I use a 'Post-It sticker' software from 3M. It looks to everyone that you're organized and they make a whooshing noise that lets the guy with the nice shiny planner know that yet another objective has been achieved, and you remembered mother's birthday.

I view books of this nature in the same way that I view diet books. People who purchase diet books are looking for a way to lose weight, but most of them don't want to alter their lifestyle or change their habits. What they don't seem to realize is that this is exactly what they must do in order to lose weight and keep it off. Eat less, use proper judgement about what they do eat, and make an aerobic exercise program an intergral part of their daily lives. It's not more complicated than that.

In the same way, Mr. Covey's book is usually purchased by people who want to become more effective in some aspect of their personal or professional lives. For people who choose to adopt the principles that he champions in order to accomplish their goals, a change in lifestyle and habits will probably be required. People who are unwilling to do this (and that is the vast majority of us) will not gain very much benefit from this book. People don't change easily. Select any married woman at random, and she'll probably tell you that once upon a time she actually thought she could change her husband.

Maui

A person needs to have some disorganization in their life in order to be accepted by those less organized and to be open for change.
Most people don’t like people who succeed where they fail, yet being too organized can lead to the inability to change rapidly when an outside force disrupts the master plan. The trick is to know what to organize, what to let happen as is does, and to be on lookout for other options that might be better. Stress levels increase when things don't go according to plan.
In product development, too much organization as to the direction to go is like putting blinders on, you will only see what is straight ahead, not what is lurking in the brush along side the road, which may be another pot of gold, or some other treasure.

madkungfu, please could you provide the full reference? Many thanks, personally I find the best way to work is to nail down the scope of what you are doing, plans have a way of becoming calendars (iaw Dilbert) and the only annoying thing about having a plan is that most managers see them set in stone rather than tools to assess progress.

TheTick, good reference to Rush2112!

No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary - William of Occam

Sorry Hamish, The full reference is "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey.

I have read the book and am actively going though it again, due to the positive effects it has had on my performance even from my first half-hearted attempt. I've also noticed I encounter a lot of cynicism from some folks when it comes to discussing these and other methods of staying motivated, organized, etc. I'll grudgingly agree with Ed that some people don't like to see someone doing something they are not. But, that's no reason to not move ahead. When cynics see you getting ahead by applying these or any principles, they'll do one of two things. Either they will attempt to follow your lead, or they will make an excuse/rationalization why it can not or will not work for them. I didn't realize I needed these methods, until my job responsibilites progressed to a certain level of independence/responsibilty that I had to choose where to spend my energies. Previously, I was more or less spoon-fed tasks. Although I was very productive, a lot of that had to do with the organizational abilites of those who were giving me the tasks. When I was moved into a postion of more responsibily, I lost that safety net and subsequently ran a project into the ground.:-0 Thankfully, I work for a supportive company that brushed me off and let me try again. That's one of the reasons I keep an eye on this and other forums on the board. To try and learn from other peoples mistakes so I don't have to make them myself. I find it disheartening though that many threads in this forum have nothing to do with "Improving One's Self to get Ahead in My Work" and a lot more to do with "Who's Fault is it that I'm not Getting What I'm Entitled to?".....Whoa. I feel a full on rant coming on.....[soapbox]...I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Hi madkungfu,

You said "they'll do one of two things. Either they will attempt to follow your lead, or they will make an excuse/rationalization why it can not or will not work for them."
I don't think it's that cut and dried, I have other options than the two you listed. Many (most?) people would take option #3, recognize the fact that you have found a way that is working well for you right now. That doesn't mean that a different way, maybe one I have successfully used , modified, evolved and fine tuned for years is all of a sudden of no value and I must "attempt to follow your lead". What works for you may not work for me, and what works for you today may be quite different from what works for you in ten years. So if you find something that helps you, then go for it, others may do things different, but that doesn't automatically make them wrong.

regards,
JTMcC

JTMcC

You are absolutely right. I reread my post and was not very clear in what I was trying to express. I made some broad generalizations based on a few specific experiences I have had. That's the problem with rants, I guess.

Thanks,
mad

Just one caution: the first casualty of war is the battle plan.

Be flexible, take tactical advantage, exploit the situation as required.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back