Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datum Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I am running SolidWorks 2003 SP5.0. I am trying to attach datum targets to a view, and I cannot attach them to anything. They will not snap to features. They will not snap to sketch objects.

I found an earlier thread on this which impled that SW did this properly, but I am not having much luck.

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am currently using SolidWorks 2004, so my memory is sketchy, but I thought of 3 possibilities.

1) Check the selection filter - I remember filters for things like edges and faces turning on for no apparent reason.

2) Does the view need to be activated? If the automatic view activation option is not turned on certain functions can be prevented.

3) Try changing the view to Hidden Line and see if the datum will attach.

I called SolidWorks support, and I think I can answer my own question.

"Datum targets can only be attached to edges."

I created a datum target feature on my part. I did a hole 0.1mm diameter by 0.1mm deep, and I renamed the feature "Datum Target". This gave me the edge to attach the datum target to.

I have a part configuration called Datum Target. The other configurations have this feature suppressed.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back