Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DEEP BEAMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAYATTIA

Structural
Jun 23, 2010
SA
Hi I do a design for deep beam by finite element method. the modeling is area section ( membrane type ) with local axis
1 in the horizontal direction and local axes 2 in the vertical direction. the section cut out put forces and moments are reported in the directions 1 ,2 and Z.
please advise what is the relation between axis on the cutt section report and the local axes of the area element.
is direction Z is the global ? if so
how we can apply the results in Z direction in case of inclined members. please refer to attachments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Sayattia,
I had the same problem once, until I found this tutorial:

For the "Draw > Draw Section Cut" menu command, the forces are reported in the section cut coordinate system, which is defined by three axes (1,2,Z) as follows:

* section cut 1 axis is located in a plane that is parallel with global XY plane; it is rotated by user-specified "Angle (X to 1)" counterclockwise from the global X axis

* section cut 2 axis is located in a plane that is parallel with global XY plane; it is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from section cut 1 axis

* section cut Z axis is parallel with global Z axis

Integrated forces are reported either on the left side or on the right side of the section cut using right hand rule. For example, if the section cut is drawn in a horizontal plane from left to right in an XZ view, then integrated forces on the left side represent the effect from the structure above the section cut, expressed in the section cut (1,2,Z) coordinate system, using right hand rule. Similarly, integrated forces on the right side represent the effect from the structure below the section cut, expressed in the section cut (1,2,Z) coordinate system, using right hand rule.

Regards,

Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back