Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Earthquake 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Getting the port operational will be essential to relief efforts.

Earthquake in Turkiye/Turkey | Port of Iskenderun Container Terminal On Fire
Day 2 Fire @ Port of Iskenderun Container Terminal | Earthquake in Turkiye/Turkey | Port Endangered
Screenshot_from_2023-02-08_17-41-28_naqttg.png

Iskenderun Port Fire Finally Extinguished | How Was It Fought | How Damaged is The Port?
Screenshot_from_2023-02-08_18-03-18_aej8po.png

Structural folk question:

Earlier post said a small % increase in cost would be helpful.
What sort of added percentage would be required to make say, a ten-story apartment block earthquake resistant (not earthquake proof)?

Heard a local Turk saying 'no cement'.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

I don't know what the reference is. Is the local Turk saying that concrete buildings should not be used? You can make buildings fairly resistant to anticipated quakes.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I assumed he meant mortar between bricks/blocks.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Not sure exactly what science he used to predict the Turkish earthquake, but apparently a Dutch scientist posted his prediction on Twitter three-days before the quake hit. His estimate was that it would be a magnitude 7.5 quake and he provided a map with the exact epicenter marked:

How did a seismologist predict the Turkey earthquake 3 days earlier?

A Dutch researcher predicted that an earthquake would hit the region, highlighting with almost exact precision the epicenter of the quake that would soon strike.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

He said "sooner or later". Could have been 100 years, but it was 3 days. There are many places on earth which will sooner or later have big earthquakes.

Pud, dik, I think he meant no concrete, as in building with wood and alternate lighter materials, Japanese style paper walls etc.

I lived in Turkey on the 13th floor for two years; design/construct BTC Pipeline. 3 earthquakes during that time. Not pleasant.

This one is really terrible. I can't watch the news.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

My interpretation of "no cement", would be just that, no cement or little cement in the concrete. But I doubt many of us here know much about Turkish building structure practices.

Thanks Hokie, that makes better sense of the comment about 'no cement".

Thanks, Hokie...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

JohnRBaker said:
Not sure exactly what science he used to predict the Turkish earthquake, but apparently a Dutch scientist posted his prediction on Twitter three-days before the quake hit.

"Critical Planetary Geometry" So I'm not quite ready to call that science. Perhaps, someday, we'll find that the interaction of slight gravitational pulls from planets in our solar system have an influence on plate tectonics, but I'm guessing that's still somewhere on the fringes of the fringes of what we might even consider a reasonable hypothesis.

Yes, it would seem to be similar to something that many people here in SoCal seem to believe, something that's referred to as 'Shake & Bake'. This is because there have been several incidents of medium to strong earthquakes occurring during periods of unseasonably high temperatures. Like the Northridge 6.7 quake in February 1994. Not necessarily actual high temps, just very hot periods during a time of year when it should be cooler.

This 'theory' kind of got started when the 5.9 Whittier Narrows quake hit on October 1st, 1987. It was just a few minutes before 8:00am when I pulled into the office parking lot and as I was turning off my car I felt the jolt. At first I thought it was the engine 'running on' or dieseling (I was driving an older Plymouth Horizon at the time) but when I got out of my car, I saw people starting to run out of our building (my office was on the 5th floor, so if I had gotten to work a few minutes earlier, it would have been a pretty good 'ride'). Anyway, they evacuated the building and we all had to report to our designated 'safe areas' while they accounted for everyone. Despite it being early in the morning, it was already over 100˚ (hence the 'Shake & Bake' theory). And we were told not to leave as they wanted to keep the streets clear in case first responders needed to be deployed. This was also before anyone had cell phones so we couldn't call home or talk to our family members to see how they were doing.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I briefly stared into that rabbit hole this morning. They talk a lot about "atmospheric fluctuations" and have real time charts of "atmospheric charge" over the Netherlands...and then proceed to never tell you what either of them actually mean. Just that these "fluctuations" announce likely zones of seismic activity. I was half expecting to see a "paper" on how these fluctuations also impact the disbursement of chem trails...

the location at which the chem trails cross is the location of expected earthquake activity, with the magnitude proportional to the number of witnesses seeing the chem trails ............

The use of “first class quality” building materials does not give assurance that earthquake resistance is more than minimal. Dynamics of seismic movement is the issue, and it requires complex understanding, design, and detailing. Techniques which have been developed in New Zealand, Japan, and California are not well understood by all engineers, and that is likely the case with seismic design in the Middle East.

What's the world coming to? It appears that one of our most dour members actually had something good to say about California.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

I wonder how Millennium Towers would have fared? [ponder]

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back