Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Educated Opinions on Climate change - a denouement or a hoax? 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recycling centers won't take them. Have to take them to the incinerator. Or just invite some friends over for a bon-fire. Just to be sure to use gasoline or used motor oil to ignite the tree since it hasn't fully dried.

Along the same line, how do you dispose of non-working solar panels?
I guess I need someone to rip them from my roof first.

Will the trend soon be that land fills will be full of used solar panels, wind generators, and electric car batteries?

Where did I say they were silicon? You are assuming the electrical means silicon.

They were to heat water, and part of the house. But they leaked.

Besides we all know silicon systems have a much longer payback.

you do have to question the impartiality of the advice being larded out by "advisors" when this sort of news comes up:
This sort of involvement isn't good in any walk of life. In the UK Politicians have to declare their interests.
I guess it ought also to extend to advisers.
We can't pretend that politicians are subject to bias where they have a financial interest and that advisers are not susceptible.
This is just the sort of news that should make you want to question what these people are saying a little bit more closely and discover what financial interests some of the others may have that are promoting climate change.

JMW

PS it seems the US has the same problem as the UK, the appointment of unelected people to key government positions.
If dog catcher is an elected positions or police chief, then surely some of these senior government positions ought to be too. This isn't simply an advisory position is it?

JMW

Cazr's are not elected or confirmed, or mentioned in the constitution. While other positions, which are presently unfilled, must be confirmed.

And you are right the appointment of unelected, or unconfirmed people is a problem.

What ever happened to the 55 MPH speed limit to reduce fuel consumption. It sort of fell apart, because voters over time became angry.

It still saves fuel, but no one is proposing it's resurgence to reduce oil imports. Why?

Actually it doesn't necessarily save fuel. Optimum cruising speed for some cars is over 60 mph. Incidentally this is why lowering speed limits in towns should not be justified by a sanctimonious nod in the direction of fuel economy.

When you factor in cost of time there is no doubt that you are making the economics of driving significantly more expensive if you have a 55 limit rather than a 70. You can see this in the UK where fuel is more epxenive - very few people limit their speed to save fuel.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I agree with Greg on the optimum speed on vehicles. My car gets about 10% higher mileage at 75mph vs 60mph. Though some of that could be the all of the stops that I have to compare it to. At the same time you aren't always cruising at 75mph, you have those times where slower vehicles get in front of you then you have to speed back up.

Did you guys see the preview of Kerry-Lieberman climate change bill? Looks like the tax payers will be footing the bill, yet again.

Thinking about the half life thing, perhaps the original intended meaning was that the feedback circuit, in response to an increase in atmospheric CO2, takes an average 100 years to expand to account for the extra CO2.

Since the most obvious forms of long term carbon capture over that timeframe are vegetation and trees that still doesn't make much sense to me, as both of those respond to extra CO2 in their own lifetimes.

I imagine the feedback loop would degrade at the same rate if the CO2 level drops, in which case our descendants will have to ramp up the coal burning if they are not to starve.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Greg

It shouldn't surprise you that those are based off of computer models, which we all know are no where near accurate.

With the recent oil spill, should we consider that climate change may be caused by our own political desires?

After all, the limits on drilling on Federal land, has pushed us to look for oil in difficult locations.

Personally I believe one answer to reduce the import of oil is to convert all building heating to using natural or other gas for heat.

And I say other gas because like flex fuel cars, I believe most heaters can be made to allow a much wider range of gas fuels.

What's going to happen when a barge of bio-diesel spills or runs aground? If you are really worried about environmental impact, you would realize that bio-fuels, windmills and other 'clean' energy all impact the environment more than oil.

As rb stated "the law of unintended consequences bites us once again..." There are risks with anything and it has to be weighed whether those risks are worth it. So far oil production has been, even with a few spills. Anyone care to guess how much oil naturally seeps into the oceans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back