Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

embed plate - to paint or not to paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmrdata

Structural
Oct 19, 2010
US
For interior construction, when steel floor beam is connected to a plate, with headed studs, embedded in concrete, I usually have the beam shop primed (assuming no fireproofing required), but leave the embed plate alone.... no surface preparation, no paint.
I consider it overkill to paint/protect such interior embed plates and am curious how others think about this approach.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would only backpaint an embeddment plate if it was aluminum, although I don't like embedding aluminum on principle anyway.

The alkaline nature of concrete should protect your steel in all but very caustic exposure conditions.

In bridge work we don't paint steel surfaces that will be in contact with concrete; although a light primer coat of inorganic zinc is OK. This is done as an accommodation to facilitate shop painting.

In most cases embed plates will receive field welding for connection material. Shop painting will require removal before field welding. The reason embeds are oversized, is because they are difficult to locate. This would also preclude blocking areas of paint. I have never seen an embed plate shop painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back