Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fun with thermometers in Oz 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the data indicates that the earth is warming... and has warmed over the last few centuries and the warming is increasing.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

What I have stated about heat and temperature is not an opinion.

As for pushing water into the atmosphere without heat? Have you not seen an ice cube waste away to nothing in your freezer? Sublimation only requires temperature above absolute zero, no heat addition.

The combustion of fossil fuels pushes a lot of water into the atmosphere.

A recent volcanic eruption also did the same.

and more importantly, creates CO[sub]2[/sub] a greenhouse gas that causes the earth to warm...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Dik said:
All the data indicates that the earth is warming... and has warmed over the last few centuries and the warming is increasing.

Few dispute that.

The issue in question here is the Australian Bureau of Meteorology’s measurement practices and statistical methods, which exaggerate the increase, as climate science has a bad habit of doing.

The mission is to show warming, and show it they do.

The CO2 is like a layer of insulation around the earth and reduces the earth's heat loss, causing the earth to heat up.

-----*****-----

-Dik

It's not propaganda, hokie... and yes, with an increase in temperature, the oceans and land are warming, and increasing the humidity in the process. It's the increased water vapour in the air that will fuel water related climate events. Hold on to your hat...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Yes CO2 makes the planet heat up, not temperature up.

OK, so show us an example where the heat increases, but the temperature decreases. The oceans are getting warmer and their temperatures are rising.

This standard heat transfer 101

Q (watts) = h (watts/K) * T (kelvins) and watts is just joules/sec

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Oh, Sh*t 101... I knew it was something like that. Not horsesh*t 101.

-----*****-----

-Dik

You can see here that by increasing relative humidity from 40% to 70% you can maintain the same enthalpy while reducing temperature by nearly 10 degrees.

(The lines are offset slightly so I could use two colors)

Screenshot_20230420-174229_e6ghea.png

The problem tug is that both the temperature and the humidity are increasing...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Do you know that? Have you ever seen a wet bulb temperature measurement in a climate change report?

Do you still consider my comment horseh*t?

Yes I do know that! Both are increasing.

-----*****-----

-Dik

How? Have you ever seen the other reported or do you assume?

You called my previous comment horsesh*t because you jumped on a statement that was only partially correct. A lot of climate science is only partially correct. They use 1 dimensional numbers to describe 2 dimensional problems.

Imagine climate scientists describing the area of a rectangle. X is increasing so the rectangle is gaining area. What is Y doing? It doesn't matter, X is growing.

Tug... re-read it. I did it for humour for IRS heat transfer 101 comment. See the 'not' in there; I play with English, a bit. I would never make a statement that something of yours was 'horsesh*t'; we may not always agree, but I respect you.

The problem with climate change is far more complex than a simple one or two dimensioned problem. There are huge amounts of energy at play. Yes, everything I've read, that is credible, indicates the earth is warming and the amount of humidity is increasing. The 'fun' that California, and other places like Pakistan, have experienced with extraordinary amounts of rainfall may be a harbinger. I have no idea of where this is going; I sense it could be cataclysmic, and no one seems to care. People are trying to maintain their status quo, and are oblivious to the possible outcome. It's really not a direct concern to me. I'm too old and wobbly, but have kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids... As the First People used to say, "We do not own the future, we borrow it from our grandchildren." <serious mode off>

-----*****-----

-Dik

California and Pakistan have not experienced extraordinary rainfall recently. They have experienced historic rainfall events. They are historic in that they align with previous rainfall events.

or Florida or a bunch of places. We'll have to wait to see how this 'shakes out'.

Clipboard01_mko1ql.jpg

-----*****-----

-Dik

You're going to need to go back a little further. California's heaviest rainfall, for example, was in 1862. How does climate change account for that?

That's still within the climate change timeline... as I said, we have to wait and see how this plays out. Little is being done to avert any improvement. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not certain that this is a little blip.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back