Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fusing two engines (welding) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOHC

Automotive
Oct 17, 2010
NL
Hi,

I'm looking into fusing two exiting engines in to a V8 or V10, currently just seeing if there is a possibly way not that I'll be attempting it right away.
Could welding be strong enough to fuse two engines together practically and safely.

I've got two basic ideas,
All based off aluminium blocks for street use.

take two 4 or 5cyl engines and cut the lower end of the blocks at a 45 or 36 degree angle and weld the top parts together the lower part would need to be made custom for a custom crank shaft.

The other idea is to take two V6 engines and cutting them in two and connecting them in the middle running one crankshaft and set of camshafts.

I've heard and seen pretty big holes welded in engines but I'm still very sceptical that it would be practical for joining two engines.

Can anyone give me some more info on this? or other idea's.
Using a existing V8/10/12 isn't a option.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think Pat and I are easily offended, Brian. My green eyed, red haired Irish wife say's I'm not only an Ahole, but a "perfect Ahole". I rather relish in the title!!! ;o)

I don't doubt your ability, just insanely jealous. To bad you are not a bit closer to Socal. I have parts out now that have been promised for over three months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod

Irish wife! You better be careful so Rod haha!! Irish women have great tempers! I almost have a wife too, but not for another while, black eyes and brown eyes, just as dangerous!!

I wouldnt be jealous Rod, anything can be done if you set your mind to it as you know. I had to think of something to do...rural Ireland In a massive recession does not offer a whole pile, you have to make your own way.

BG.

I've learned my limits...Must be doing something right, she's kept me here for almost 50 years.

Something else, country Irish lasses are great cooks. At least mine is!

Rod

Wow...this thread has worked a miracle...Sorta...

One: Bragging on the wife's cooking...ended me up at Bob's Big Boy for lunch.
Two: Phone message...Parts are ready to pick up Friday!
I really mean "wow"...I was not kidding about the three months to make four connecting rods for a 1930 Ford!!!

Rod

More than a little.

I am always enthralled and envious when I watch a really skilled machinist doing freehand work on a mill or lathe. A friend turns visually perfect spheres on a lathe to make things like the brass knobs on brass beds. I just stand there and stare in awe.

I promised myself years ago that if ever I have enough money to live in comfort for the rest of my life plus a few hundred thousand left over, I will set up a tool room quality workshop and go back to trade school and learn to use it.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

My mentors at my first job, graduates of the Henry Ford Trade School, described one of their first projects.

They were given a brass cube, a file, and a micrometer. The objective was to turn the cube into a perfect sphere, using only the file. The student who ended up with the biggest sphere got the top grade, and so on.

Next assignment: same deal, starting with a steel cube.

They didn't get to touch the machine tools until they learned to really drive a file.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

On the subject of fast times getting things made - the place that does my machining is working on maybe 20 to 50 similar jobs at the same time - so their time to make something is the typical couple of weeks (if I'm lucky). Presumably BrianGar had to drop everybody else's jobs to get this one done. Nevertheless - it is almost miraculously fast.
Thru etc. I see your point about the word "billet" and I am inclined to agree.
On the subject of Hayabusa (and other motorcycle engine) V-8s - with a bike engine they use the removable cylinder block as well as the heads - only a crankcase is needed which greatly simplifies the job.
If DOHC is Honda fan maybe he could join a couple of Fireblades.

Mike, Indeed, many jokes could be made in a very short time!

I was originally a cabinet maker before turning to the harder stuff. I guess cutting 12 finger dovetails will teach you a thing or two on accuracy. A good dovetail joint will 'fart' when you push them together. One with fingers say 3 thou smaller will not. To test myself, I once cut a ten finger doveltail joint by hand in 3/8 brass as my project for school leaving back in 99, sadly I have no pictures as it was before the digital camera came into my hands. All I have from it is the image attached. Its the first and only cert Ive ever got. The rest was a lot of hard work, and trial and error. After leaving, I did cabinetmaking for a lot of yrs but I finally had to hang it up when the above took over. Id rate it as a valuable skill to have though when it comes to pattern making.

In ref to Mikes sphere post, I like that one, I sometimes test guys abilities with the long side flat short side square one.
Rectangular piece of bright mild steel, The long side is flattened, the short side is then squared off that side. A small engineers square is placed, stock against long side, blade on the short side end. A drop of paraffin is placed on piece and blade. If the paraffin makes it way through between blade and end of piece, its a fail. Its amazing how many cannot do this simple and Important exercise by hand. It helps I feel to make them appreciate machine tools a little more.

HrHtex, I try not to drop other work, Its a niche market and theres an orderly queue. People than can wait, dont mind waiting, but even at that that wait is short once I let them know I have started. I also care about it all from start to finish, which, after visiting some factories in ShenZhen makes the whole deal even more special for the client involved, they get what_they_want exactly, and small numbers are not a problem.

tbuelna, thats really great, focus is a great thing, the rest is hard work once you have your mind made up and it all figured out.

Perhaps all this ranting should be in Pats pub, but I think you have to be a member or invited in there. I thought you get in when you donate to the site, but I was wrong. Some day perhaps! Save going way off topic, sorry OP!

BG

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3c932a80-5141-4c62-959c-84f2ead8506c&file=cert_002.JPG
The 1/5 scale model of the Rolls-Royce Eagle is astounding. Does anyone know anything about the original engine? It seems curious that what appears to be a post-WWII design would be laid out as a sleeve-valve engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back