Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I guess I'm getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HgTX

Civil/Environmental
Aug 3, 2004
US
This is kind of a rehash of the harrumphing in Thread731-110284 (which I happened to surf to recently), but I just gotta.

I was just at a conference. There were a number of college students in attendance.

The boys all wore what I'd expect a student to wear to a conference--variations on the theme of polo or oxford shirt, and khakis. More formal than they'd wear just hanging out or going to a party.

The girls, on the other hand...

Okay, it's not like they were wearing lowriser jeans with their thongs sticking out. But they wore outfits that, although fairly nice, looked a lot more like they were going to parties than to a meeting. And they wore that "I'm finally too old for Daddy to tell me not to do this" quantity of mascara that has been popular with girls and that adult women have always grown out of since about 1968.

And they wore flip-flops. Sure, new fancy flip-flops with little gold spangles, but flip-flops dammit.

And yes, I know, the face of engineering is changing and new demographics will bring in new looks, but this didn't strike me so much as cutting-edge as simply juvenile and clueless.

There were also girls there who knew how to dress--they looked plenty feminine, plenty modern, but professional. So it's not simply that Times Have Changed. (And besides, cutting-edge in engineering just means wearing what was cutting-edge a few years ago in less conservative fields but is now pretty standard. Flip-flops are NOT "the new flats", and a quick googling backs me up on this.)

There were no boys who wore nice yet inappropriate clothes (like, Idunno, silk knit T-shirt with more jewelry than one ought to wear to the office).

I don't really think it's just a matter of What Young People Are Wearing These Days. I recently attended a presentation given by a bunch of business school freshmen (age 19, mostly girls), and they were all VERY professional-looking. I guess they teach them that in B-school.

So why should it be the girls who didn't bother figuring out what they should wear to this conference? Is it lack of role models hanging around their civil engineering departments? Or is it the greater variability in women's wear that leads to more likelihood of picking the wrong thing?

Or is it just my deep-seated prejudice against anyone who reminds me of high school?

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its not just pipers that wear the kilt. Its the scottish eqiuvalent to the tuxedo (black tie formal evening wear); very popular at weddings.

That said its also day wear when worn with the correct type of sporran, jacket and shirt. Very versatile.

It seems there is more to the tradition and customs of wearing a kilt than the average Enlishman or American could hope to understand.

Any full blood Scots might be able to explain more, I'm only about 1/8th and don't have a clue.

Isn't the knife for the Haggis. [wink]

They make intestine-free canned haggis in Texas. Not too much unlike corned beef hash. Pretty good, actually.

Hg

I'm curious as to what level of intoxication or hunger one has to achieve to willingly eat intestine-free, canned hagis, in Texas?

Something else occurs to me today (unusually calm due to some computer/network maintenance).....

1. Does going from a discussion about flip-flops and thong underwear to canned hagis constitute a quantum leap?

2. How many threads have started out on a noble course, only to be highjacked by the Hagis?

i need something to work on for a day...my mind is wandering into dangerous territory

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

I tried doing a search for "haggis" to see how many threads it's come up in, but there's a user named Haggis here, so that skews the results a bit.

The next question is, is going from flip-flops to haggis a leap up or down?

The haggis vendor was giving out free samples, so I tried it. Turns out it's quite edible. The vendor likes my fiddle playing, so I got a free can o' haggis. Also a free bottle of Diet Irn Bru, to add to the list of Things I Will Consume That Really Should Not Exist.

Hg

I could be wrong but....

Haggis shouldn't contain intestines. The casing should be a sheep’s stomach. Intestines would make it sausage.

Main ingredients from memory are the sheep’s 'pluck' (I think I spelt that right), oats and seasoning. I could be missing something.

Actually tastes good, if you can get your head around eating offal.

BTW apparently you can't legally get real/authentic Haggis in the USA. Certain of the ingredients are illegal.

However, this is certainly off topic so I better stop there.

Speaking of offal, the Polish, Russians...and other East Europeans consume sheep intestine soup, tripe soup to be exact...it smells awful in my opinion, but doesn't actually taste too bad as long as you forget the fact that feces passed through your meal not too long ago.

bottle of Diet Irn Bru, to add to the list of Things I Will Consume That Really Should Not Exist

Does that mean just Diet Irn Bru shouldn't exist, which I agree with as it's a poor substitue for the real thing. or just Irn Bru in general?

One of my coworkers just came into my cube wearing flip flops and an Aloha shirt. I asked him WTF and he gave me a look as if I had come from another planet.

The 19 year old intern at our office wears them (flip-flops) often. I really don't have a problem with this as she is very well groomed overall. I say let the young enjoy their youth.

I didn't think you were suppoed to wear hosiery with flip flops?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

For my normal officewear, aloha shirts are dressup (from the usual T-shirt). I haven't decided yet whether they're okay for going to other buildings within my agency. (They have buttons, so that kinda counts.) I wouldn't wear them to a non-agency destination.

This all has the weird result that when I'm out on a construction site, I'm better dressed than when I'm working in the office.

On the hosiery, no, the babydolls had no hosiery with their flipflops. I think there was toenail polish involved. (Nail polish is a whole nother discussion within the topic of professional womenswear...)

Hg

HgTX,

Now you are against nail polish?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back