Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to see more "stuff" in a section view

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchoj

Industrial
Dec 20, 2013
US
I'm using NX11. I want to cut a section and then see more detail past the section line. I've read a few threads about using clipping planes and offset, but have not seen anything that will work for me. Can someone please tell me if it can actually be done and how?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the settings of your section view, is the "show background" option turned on? If it is on, you should see the section cut plus the rest of your model behind the cut; if it is turned off, you will only see the 'slice' of the model that the section plane intersects.

www.nxjournaling.com

I do know about that function, I don't want to see everything in the background, just a few inches in. And I want to control the distance past the cut line. In a previous thread someone said try using clipping planes but didn't know how or just didn't want to tell them how to use it. I thought an older version of UG had slider bars you use to control that? Or maybe that was a different cad program.

it is named "offset" and it's an option on the section view.

image_zanifu.png

( There is no preview sadly, you must know the distance, and it will not cut away pieces of a solid, only entire solids if they are beyond the offset distance.)

Regards,
Tomas

It did nothing. Any more info or help on how to use the offset function, or clipping planes, or whatever I need to do to get the results I need. Or come right out and tell me it can't be done......... please

I've never used the offset option, but from the help files, it appears that it will only include or exclude other bodies from the resulting section; it doesn't look like it will include more geometry from the body being cut. There is also an option to include selected background faces. The example in the help file shows faces from other bodies being included, so again, I'm not sure if this applies to the body actually being sectioned.

www.nxjournaling.com

hm, do you want to see more or less in the section view ?!
Post #1 " I want to cut a section and then see more detail past the section line."
Post #5 "I don't want to see everything in the background, just a few inches in."
-Seeing More due to a limitation in depth will be difficult.

Clipping planes was waay back in time. ( and pretty unreliable.)

Here's a quick illustration on applying Offset. A "random value" of 25 which i knew would cut away the cylinder.
( Which is why i placed the dimension 47,2.)

image_fqhinb.png

Regards,
Tomas

Thank you for all your input. I was able to get what I wanted. Cut a section view and before I placed the view, right click, section view tool, SHOW cut planes, check define background faces on, pick the faces you want to see, place section view. Went into settings of the newly placed section and turned on "Show Background". Works exactly like I wanted it to, with hidden lines also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back