Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

in search of metallurgy and corrosion training

Status
Not open for further replies.

valero

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2004
US
Does anyone now of some good metallurgy training courses? I am a young API inspector wanting to educate myself in metallurgy and corrosion issues associated with the oil refining industry. I have 10 years refinery experience and am quite versed with API 571. I am also interested in refractory training as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say go for ASM's "Fundamentals of Metallurgy" course rather than "Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist". It's a little more hard-core. You can buy the MFNM book if you're wondering what you might have missed.

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

There are also courses offered by NACE International. Among them you will find one titled "Corrosion in the Refining Industry". Also, UOP offers a "Corrosion and Fouling" class sometimes.

As a fellow corrosion engineer in the refining industry, I highly suggest the following groups, in order of applicability: NACE, API, UOP, and then ASM. (Nothing against ASM, but you'll find more information regarding the petroleum refining industry elsewhere.)

You state you are quite versed with API 571 and that is excellent (especially since the document only premeired last year). In that case, you may want to take the "Damage Mechanisms" course offered by Equity Engineering (in part through API) which is the logical extension of that document.

~NiM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back