Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there any chance 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFF

Computer
Oct 27, 2004
I'm finishing an EE degree soon at 60 years old. I retired early so that I could go back to school and finish the EE degree I started a long time ago. Have graduate degree in mathematics and 34 years experience as a statistician. At any rate I've been trying to find a job, any job, in the EE area. It's been awful. Some tell me right to my face I'm too old. Is there any chance of me getting an internship? Job as a technician or as a apprentice engineer? This experience has been a real shocker. I've never had a problem finding a job until now.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe you need to think of yourself as an experienced statistician who can't be easily fooled by EE types' misinterpretations of statistics.

Reliability Engineering would seem to be a natural fit, trying to make sense of sparse and often inaccurate historical data in order to affect future history. Unfortunately, an RE operation would usually only be found in a relatively large company, and large companies' undocumented rules clearly include termination of employees over age 50, for no provably illegal reason of course.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Almost all the intern programs I am aware of (I have sons in this situation) require that you still be a student when you enter the program. It has to do with having a different pay scale than a regular full-time employee, I believe. Usually the companies want you to start the program in your 3rd year of college.

Aside from internships, when I worked in a design firm, we could never get good EE's, so I'm surprised you are having trouble. What part of the country (world?) are you in?

Look for a one or two person firm with a small practice in your locale. Then see if they can train you over the next 5 years and at that time see if you can purchase the business from them. Of course you must be willing now to do this transaction. You change the equation now- The firm has a vested interest in training you (versus employing you) and you now have the formal training to start practicing Electrical Engineering. Good luck.

RossABQ, I'm in US State of Wisconsin. Employment situation here is poor but I do see many postings for EE.

I thought about filing law suits. Some of these places are actively age discriminating. It's really demeaning to constantly get rejection letters.
I get a lot that say I'm over qualified. What the heck is that? How can you become "less qualified"? I'd suggest they are getting a good deal then instead of using it as an excuse to not hire.

Overqualified is a commom place when the employer (or the people responsable for the hiring process) doesn't feel you're suitable and don't want to be rude.

Not that I particularly agree with the aproach or think it is less rude than telling the real reason (wich I rather have than this generic answer). I have heard that a lot of times and I'm young.

Are you addressing their most likely concern (that you will retire in a couple of years after they've invested in training you) up-front in the interviews? Your age should not be on your resume.

Have you thought about creating an awesome product that you can sell? Or maybe even perusing the EE patents and improve existing designs and patent it yourself? If you're financially independent and sustainable w/o being employed, wouldn't it be awesome if you became your own boss? Maybe I'm too young to understand.

Are you willing to work for a true entry level salary?

If so, you need to make that extremely clear during the job interview. Low ball them.

If not, then you are indeed "overqualified," or rather they expect to get the same level of production from someone younger at a lower salary.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back