Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MBD and what means a good 3D model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kedu

Mechanical
May 9, 2017
US
Per a discussion on a different platform, I would like to ask the members of this group the following questions:

What means “Engineering Check Processes” in the MBD world (otherwise stated what checkers are looking for when a MBD model is verified)?
What tools checkers are using to verify the “Quality” of the MBD models and what are the acceptance criteria of those checks? In other words, what means a “good model”?
I really hope it is not just a simple PMI adherence, compliance and conformity to the applicable standard (ISO GPS or ASME).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AFAIK MBD and PMI are works in progress. They are also closely tied to the originating software.

I see CAD Interop with CADIQ is one attempt at managing the problems that MBD brings to the table.

A good model is one that has been analyzed for fit and function and manufacturability.

It's not clear how those would be part of the MBD; if the part fails to fit per a variational tolerance analysis that would be significant, or if the part failed in the stress analysis to meet requirements or if the part was not manufacturable?

About all that might be flagged with MBD analysis is missing the material callout or failing to include a variation control representing the tolerance on a feature, but the checker won't know if the controls that are applied are incorrect unless the originating software allows creating inappropriate callouts; however, those will be exposed with the variational tolerance analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back