Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 06 131

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You know what the problem with safety is? Normies tend not to see issues. You need someone with autism super powers to imagine ways that buildings can collapse. Like, maybe buildings shouldn't have parking garages under them? I mean you are exposing building columns to terrorists and car drivers.

Maybe the columns should be super fat like the ones they use in Australia?

AutisitcBez said:
Its possible the deck and planters just gave way one day. They reached a set limit in their capacity to remain intact. Call it a "tits up" moment.
Here's my "planter slab gave way" hypothesis. It's buried on the last thread, but here's a copy -

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5b5b147d-7586-4f99-9739-8e7c81ddcd69&file=8777_Collins_-_Deterioration_Hypothesis.pdf
It's odd that Linda March's body has not been reported as found. She resided in the PH4 penthouse. In theory she she should have been near the top of the pile.

Has anyone noticed if the order victims are being found is roughly tracking their floor number?

This document also looks new.. and has some info on the inspections up to the day before the collapse -
It's labeled as "INSPECTIONS REPORT FOR THE PERIOD OF 10-1-2019 TO 7-8-2021 FOR ALL TOWN PROPERTY" at
And wow.. you guys really don't want to let that roof first theory die. If you've been watching the live video for the last week they've been sifting that rubble around a lot and almost none of it is where it was on the pile btw. It seems like all of the objects they believe have an importance are being sprayed painted with some sort of tag (usually in blue or black), and are nearly always removed on the day they tag them. I've yet to see anything that was clearly from the roof get tagged.

arbitraria said:
In addition to GPR for slab thickness and reinforcing layout, they want 3 slab cores for compressive strength testing and one more for chemical composition testing, plus a small core from a column.

Sort of a 'shotgun' approach, eh?

AtomixPro, you can see the order people have been found at this site. It seems like for the most part, the people in x4 apartments seem to be getting found last. Just step back in time to see how it's progressed - They do label Cassondra's apartment incorrectly, but the rest seems to be accurate.

apper.42 said:
Just a thought on the debris reigning down in the ring video. Once the distortion of the slabs becomes evident the glass in the sliding balcony door would break allowing outside air to start moving around the apartment/room affecting the direction of concrete chips from the failing concrete. Top bars in the ceiling could be unzipping in tension in a fashion similar to other slab failures we have seen in the debris as the hinge forms.

I don't know about this. If you watch the controlled demolition videos, many glass doors and windows stay unbroken as the building is falling, but are clearly deflecting during that time.

Wouldn't we also hear the glass shattering during the video since the slab distortion is getting worse? Unless the glass shattered before the video started.

I do think air movement is a possible explanation for the movement of the raining particles, but I just can't shake the feeling that it seems too controlled, consistent, and powerful - those particles are shifting direction with impressive unity. And if they are indeed from a concrete slab above, that density of small concrete chunks would seem to require a tremendous gust of consistent wind to knock them all out of natural gravitational vectors at an angle like that.

= MarkBoB2 (Electrical) said:
These photos are as close as one gets to a confirmation of this general narrative.

No way...

1. Those traffic cones are either 2.5 or 3 feet tall. A basic 3 ton AC condenser happens to be 2.5 - 3 feet wide, deep, and tall.

2. A condenser is mostly hollow. Dropping it 12 stories would probably dent it, and dropping a dozen concrete floors over it? Wouldn't be circular.

3. If they left AC units and roof anchors there, why did they take the roofing rolls and 6-8' bright green bag away?

Having watched many movies with computerized 3D visual effects I have to say that the animators generally lack an understanding of the physical world as their animations always have unnatural accelerations and such. If you're using unity and vectors in the same sentence we're right back in to the realm of metaphysics.

Teguci said:
Here's my "planter slab gave way" hypothesis. It's buried on the last thread, but here's a copy

The “curb” at the front of the low planter seems to be an upset beam on 11.1 between L and M, similar, if not identical, to the ones at the west plaza drive planters.

TugboatEng said:
If you're using unity and vectors in the same sentence we're right back in to the realm of metaphysics.

Hardly. Vector is a mathematical term, and I use it as such. I'm talking about physics, not metaphysics.

TugboatEng said:
Having watched many movies with computerized 3D visual effects I have to say that the animators generally lack an understanding of the physical world as their animations always have unnatural accelerations and such

If this is some reference to what you think my background is, I'm formerly an architect. I've never been in animation. I'm pulling from my experience on many, many demolition sites (I'm actually quite fascinated by demolition) to know what concrete and drywall look like as they are pulverized and succumb to gravity. I'm only pointing out that concrete debris would require more air movement to cause what we're seeing than say, drywall/gyp board. So much so, that I wonder where enough air is coming from to cause it.

In my original post with 3 GIFs from the Ring video, I referred to tilting of a "refrigerator" - but I wasn't talking about the stainless steel refrigerator that is on the left near the doorway. Instead, I was referring to the tall, black shape on the right, behind the couch and chairs, which looked like the side of a refrigerator to me. But I don't know why the unit would have two fridges, so I'm not sure what this is. I've edited my original post.

Here's a cropped and zoomed version of the first frame-last frame GIF. Look at how the tall black object behind the couch moves. It's probably the second most active object in this sequence, other than the vertical wall/column between the doorway and the entry.
Ring_video_before_after_cropped_arrujf.gif

There's a column right there, so maybe the floor slab is buckling at that location, pushing the black object up But the black object is on the far side of the column line; I would expect the hinging to happen on this (camera) side of the column line.

This crop also better shows, I think, that the side of the room the closer to the camera is sinking relative to the kitchen.

TugboatEng said:
Can you provide a non-cropped and zoomed version so we can see what is actually going on?

Did you miss the beginning of the thread? Scroll up. The uncropped versions are in my post at timestamp 13 Jul 21 03:59.

I can't seem to find a way to link to a specific post, or I would (is it possible?).

Here's the actual Twitter video, completely unaltered:

I created a slowed down version of the CCTV video and attached it this post. There are a couple of these on youtube but they seem to be re-transcoded so they aren't that good of quality. This one was slowed down by a factor of 4 and wasn't re-transcoded so it should be as close to the original as possible. Figured you guys might want to check this out too, since they're much easier to look at frame by frame locally than on youtube.

I'm going to go tinker around with that Ring video next.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d6e4d629-36d0-46e1-9e6c-db6d4dfe33c8&file=CCTV_slowdown.mp4
Sym P. le said:
I notice there is a picture hanging on the kitchen wall (left side). We barely see it in side view. This gives us a clue about verticle as well.

Good eye. If that is indeed a hanging picture, seems like it remains almost exactly vertical, so that does give weight to the theory that the room (or the camera) is not tilting, at least not as much as I illustrated in my 3rd original GIF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back