Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 10 79

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah, that explains that. City FD completely slipped my mind.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

He says: "Está lastimada, mi mujer." My wife is injured.

The first time I heard "quemada," but after listening to it another couple of times, I am confident he said "lastimada," which is Argentine spanish for injured.

Ok, gotta ask. So is Miami-Dade PD really the County Sheriff?
I read The Miami-Dade PD Chief is not an elected official.

So does the City of Miami and all the other Directional Miami’s have their own PD’s like Surfside’s 8 man unit?

Demented (Industrial) 6 Aug 21 21:41 Quote: BKNJ How do we know that was Nico Vazquez talking to the police in that video? Here's what she looked like after...I don't see burns. [URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.archyde.com/the-first-photo-of-gimena-...[/URL] "product of a blow against a palm tree in full flight- and a deep gesture of regret." Regret is an odd word here. Translation issue?]

From
"profundo gesto de pesar" deep gesture of grief.
Pesar can also be regret. It depends on the context.
Condolence: Pésame

All About Money said:
Ok, gotta ask. So is Miami-Dade PD really the County Sheriff?
I read The Miami-Dade PD Chief is not an elected official.

So does the City of Miami and all the other Directional Miami’s have their own PD’s like Surfside’s 8 man unit?

Miami-Dade (Metropolitan Government) does not currently have a sheriff’s department, but Miami-Dade Police Department (Metro Dade) is in the process of transitioning to one. Some municipalities have their own PD, some use MDPD on contract.

Surfside is one of the smaller muni departments with 24 officers (8 per shift).

@Santos81, Thanks for responding. In my area we are very dense in single family homes, some on large lots, but the newer ones on smaller lots. Even the apartment complexes are typically only 2-3 stories high, and of wood frame construction. I think wood frame is limited to 5 stories, but those require dense stud spacings on lower levels.

But in comparison to Miami with all the high rise condo's with bare minimum land foot print, the population density is far higher, thus perhaps the logic for having lots of small geographic cities?

Optical98 said:
...supposedly ran into a palm tree during their escape... in pics she has a black eye, more consistent with how people look when getting hit in the face with an airbag.

Escape? Are you suggesting these foreign actors were investigating the corrupt Mayor and city officials with all that dirty money and payoffs and threatened to call in the Feds (with their cool badges) but were discovered by the illuminaughty who gave chase and made them Regret their snooping and crash their car into a tar kettle that ker-sploded with enough force (and sonic booms!!1!) that it landed on the roof knocking over the parapet, tar paper rolls, guys on ladders, and A/C units before falling to the ground and causing the pool deck to de-laminate because of the poorly constructed (with no permits) unmaintained building with a huge AHU supported by a flimsy steel frame with crappy welds (that somehow survived falling from the roof) and severing the conduits causing the lights to blink out an S.O.S. and proving beyond a shadow of a doubt what triggered the collapse?
We're gonna need someone to analyze the whereabouts and motives of each and every one of the eyeball witnesses, (and day laborers) and get their sworn testimony on body-cam video to go over frame by frame and time sync it with the weather reports of the meteor showers, to determine how they by-passed the fire alarms and elevator controls, and compile it all in a power-pointy do-dad so we can fully understand just how utterly implausible all this nonsense is.

Do we know what unit the actors were staying in? It sounds like it was in the part that collapsed. If so, they are very, very lucky they didn't eat any faster.

Optical98 (Computer) said:
How do we know that was Nico Vazquez talking to the police in that video?

He is visible on the right of the car. People in the Youtube comments identified him... and many were not real happy with the officer's reaction.

Here's what she looked like after...I don't see burns.

I don't either, quite frankly. I suppose it could have faded... last chemical burn I had faded pretty quickly, but in the first 30 minutes, I hurt enough that a normal person would have called 911. IEGeezer's translation makes me think there is likely nothing here.

BKNJ

Optical98 said:
Here's what she looked like after

Palm tree bark is very rough and I imagine if you hit one with your face hard enough to blacken an eye I would think you'd see cuts and abrasions on her nose, forehead or cheek.

Jedidad said:
Palm tree bark is very rough and I imagine if you hit one with your face hard enough to blacken an eye I would think you'd see cuts and abrasions on her nose, forehead or cheek.

So if she wasn't burned, and you reject the tree story, the only possible answer is the airbag shielded her from getting burned by the tar kettle ker-splosion? Do you imagine her making up the tree story to protect her boyfriend from the Feds? Maybe she has all the missing files from the storage unit!!! Oh-NoEs!! SHE'S A DOUBLE AGENT!!

All About Money said:
13 Perhaps this exercise is a waste of time, but it seems compiling a list of really plausible contribution factors and perhaps ranking them or trying to quantify them is similar to what Maud is compiling with her witness statements data base.

I made us a form to automagically populate a spreadsheet, for just this purpose. It’s a couple of threads ago. Give me a little while to find it…I skinned a finger today in an 80 grit belt sander incident and I need to do some wound management. I will edit this post to add it, unless someone else find it first.

>>>>>Edit: Here are the existing form and spreadsheet. Wanna make changes to the fields?

This is a Google Form that automagically writes to the spreadsheet!

1. Complete and submit the Engineering Input Form
Screen Name
Type
Sub-type
Theory/Hypothesis <short description>
Proven Evidence
Possible Evidence Not Yet Proven
Argument Against
Notes/Links

Tip: Check the spreadsheet to see if your Theory is already listed. If it is, use the same Type, Sub-Type, and Theory/Hypothesis so that sorting will place your entry by the previous listing. There is no limit on how many listings a particular theory may have.

2. Review the CTS Collapse spreadsheet to see your entry/entries and everyone else’s entries.

We will use the Type/Sub-type fields as organizers. This will allow us to sort the spreadsheet so that related items will appear next to each other. This will be more efficient than human intervention to organize separate tabs, although we could do that after we end submissions.

Please let me know if you think any of the fields need to be updated or if anything doesn’t seem to be working properly. Have at it!

What we know about the Vazquezes’ experience, including their unit number, is in the Timeline spreadsheet that I am about to update with the video where they ask the English-speaking cop for help. All their fans on YouTube say it’s Nicolas Vazquez talking to the cop in the bodycam video.

>>>>>Edit: FWIW, and not that it matters in terms of the collapse witness timeline, at the hospital in Florida, Gimena Accardi (wife of Nicolas Vazquez,) presented with a big egg on her forehead, received a head CT, and was pronounced OK. Hospitals generally don’t do CTs on people who present with burns.

Santos81 said:
City of Miami FD - Admin; tenant in PH-9 IIRC.

Thanks! Based on what he said to the cops, I thought he might be in 1209. I wonder where he stashed his wife and kids so quickly after they got out? He ran as fast as he could to the first responders. Maybe they weren’t home at the time.

>>>>>Edit: my curiosity doesn’t matter. He had no new information for this inquiry.

Nukeman948 said:
So if she wasn't burned, and you reject the tree story, the only possible answer is the airbag shielded her from getting burned by the tar kettle ker-splosion? Do you imagine her making up the tree story to protect her boyfriend from the Feds? Maybe she has all the missing files from the storage unit!!! Oh-NoEs!! SHE'S A DOUBLE AGENT!!

Nice Strawman Fallacy. This place is turning into Reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back