Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part XII 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeusfaber

Military
May 26, 2003
GB
A continuation of our discussion of this failure. Best to read the other threads first to avoid rehashing things already discussed.

Part I
thread815-436595: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part I

Part II
thread815-436699: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part II

Part III
thread815-436802: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part III

Part IV
thread815-436924: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part IV

Part V
thread815-437029: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part V

Part VI
thread815-438451: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part VI

Part VII
thread815-438966: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part VII

Part VIII
thread815-440072: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part VIII

Part IX
thread815-451175: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part IX

Part X
thread815-454618: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part X

Part XI
thread815-454998: Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part XI

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Link

G'Day mate.

Despite overwhelming evidence, apparently if you don't believe this video, you have a "conclusive file". I wonder what he believes the actual failure was? He doesn't say after hundreds of hours of previous videos. All as we know is that he believes it was not a horizontal interface shear failure and you are an "idiot" engineer if you don't believe what he believes. I would love to see the numbers and evidence to indicate another possible failure mechanism. I am truly and honestly open to any scientific evidence that shows another plausible mechanism. To date, I have seen nothing credible or even any failure mechanism presented on the YT channel.

Six people died and one person was severely injured. I only comment because someone is using pseudo science to promote conspiracy theories and personal agendas on their YT channel. Science maters and the proper use and evaluation of evidence maters. When you see pseudo science used to promote a false agenda, it is up to the rest of us to call it out. The victims and the public deserve better than this.

If you don't understand basic concepts like vectors, static, or that gravity generates a load, then you need to read up on the science and learn some of the fundamentals. The YT presenter believes it is "equilibrium" that generates the forces and not gravity and if you don't believe that, you have a "conclusive file". He has a different definition of equilibrium from engineers but he doesn't describe it or tell you how you can use it to calculate forces, stress, deflections etc. If you can't take science as a foundation for discussing or evaluating such an incident, then there is no hope in ever determining a likely cause to an incident and we learn nothing.

I invite the YT presenter to use science to describe another feasible failure mechanism and come to a forum like this one where it can be scrutinized. All scientific ideas need to be scrutinized. Being shielded on a YT channel and deleting all comments that challenge your ideas, stunts any possibility of learning. Don't be afraid to be wrong, it might hurt the ego but in the long run you will learn more.

I would also like to end by saying something positive. He does collect a lot of evidence which we can evaluate and that is a good thing.

After this 'youtuber' first came to my attention I watched one of his videos...for about 5 minutes...before I realized that this was a big waste of time. I'd rather spend my time, which is limited, on something more useful, like watching reruns of:
Bozo1_fivkhj.jpg

Earth314159,

He was on the forum. He started getting fired up over politics; I suspect that's why he was banned. That, or repeatedly calling Eng-tips contributors "idiots" in his videos.

There's no need to mention him any further and instead just stick to relevant engineering.

3DDave,

That is a good point. I didn't realize he was on the forum before. He is a waste of time. I just don't like pseudo science in principle and call it out because of the damage it causes. You are right. It is best just not to mention him.

Please discontinue posting in this thread. Go to thread815-457935
for any further posts.

This topic is broken into multiple threads due to the long length and many images creating longer load times for some. If you are NEW to this discussion, please read the following threads prior to posting to avoid rehashing old discussions.

Part I
thread815-436595

Part II
thread815-436699

Part III
thread815-436802

Part IV
thread815-436924

Part V
thread815-437029

Part VI
thread815-438451