Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New start material strenght calculation for operating horn from crashed plane. Part 2 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSnake

Electrical
Nov 7, 2020
SE
Can anyone help me check if this calculation works so far?
There are so many conversions between different units ..
The calculation is made by a free software but I assume that their calculation models are correct.

My own assumption is that the elevator is heavier at the front edge as there are hinges made of MIL 1430 N and since the lever and its attachment also are , there are also steel details on the other side and the rest is aluminum.
I have chosen to see it as a simple bar to begin with.

And the calculation is made to check which load the fixed joint must withstand for the elevator's own weight.

I intend to present it in steps so if I got something wrong I can adjust it before the next step.
If it's okay with you people?

Best regards Anna

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[thumbsup2] Thats good. [smile]
But something seems not to work ?...
The included files , can't be opened, but I do not know at what end that problem lies.

/A

Albert Einstein

Its a DHCP issue I think. Have most things on static now. I suspect it was the tplink ip over power line that was causing the issues.

But I don't have a network sniffer here to see what's happening.

The ups did its job and kept the router and AP's live if the power is out over 6 hours we get loads of compensation so its only happened once in the last 6 years. Never been more than 12 hours. So 28 hours UPS should do the job.

You seem to be a man with many skills.

It may be for the best that my icecream stick aircraft is out of commmision, it has lost it's stabilzers.
I have not managed to get them replaced.
I though mayby I would teach you how to fly it, but since it might make you change your tone, I am probably better of without them.

IMG_1327_nkni3p.jpg

Woulden't wont you to become like our newest staty in town. It's called Listen.
But that would of course not be possible.. why?

because it is, a she ;-)

Listen_twedrf.jpg

I'm struggling with how I should be able to show in 2D how that lever/horn was broken towards the maximum stop up ... sigh
I might have to go and buy a bundle of straws, and build some models or something.. or go down to work and put together a pair pieces that I can demolish, that might be faster.
That shit weld I can without problem fix myself, considering how long ago it was since I last welded something together.

/A

Albert Einstein

Just hade some thought about this.

and as neither of us are the type for flying at 20ft under london bridge
Has that been done IRL ?
Except with a slightly smaller plane or a fighter plane mayby.
When I was in Budapest they had R.d B..l trickplane contest, and they where flying under the bridges all day long.
I know a plane was landed on the Hudson River. do not know if it went under any bridge though.

or checkerboard approach in kai tak
Got that one :)
Kai_tak_w1h1d6.jpg

or trying to get the fastest circuit
Is it to drive fast back and forth or ??
Or the fastest way to fix the problem?

It was actually quiet interesting and worth while training for everyone involved as its not in the normal syllabus. But in theory could occur with cargo shift in a limited fashion or everyone runs to the back of the aircraft. It came into my head because of this discussion. CoG outside rear is not something I have been trained for or experienced.

With it in the basic direct down grade mode it was only hilarious because it was in the sim. Between the 2 of us we had 18 000 hours of experience neither of us lasted very long

So how did it end up then?

I know that the head of the investigation said at some point, that if the right elevator should stops working on an A230, it is just to turn it off and fly on, no problem at all apparently?
Although they are hydraulic, I do not know if it is comparable..
I guess it's a more reasonable simulation exercise?
So have you practiced it?
Or even been involved in it in real life?

Best regards Anna

Albert Einstein

Its just having a bit of fun.

Fastest circuit is brakes off to breaks on again taking off to go back and land on the same runway.

"So how did it end up then?"

crash reset due to structural failure outside limits.

FBW machines have multiple back ups on all the primary flight controls. And yes we practise them a lot. And no I haven't experienced it in real life and none of my mates have that fly FBW on any type by any maker. Control issues on traditional controlled planes yes I have had them a few times usually to do with water ingression into the wire sleeves freezing and jamming them.

Yes, I did actually got, the fun part of it :)

We have a department at work called the pilot plant. (Of all things LOL) It comes from pilot project .. Guess it has to do with being the first out to try something new, do not know if pilots are better known for it than anyone else though.

When they inaugurated it, we had robots that poured "Champange" and they had also set up a 3D simulation in a virtual reality model of a facility that you could walk around in with 3D goggles and jump around in and look att things from any direction.
Actually I hade a welding gun, going right through my head at one point.
It was really fucking cool. :)

Fastest circuit is brakes off to breaks on again taking off to go back and and on the same runway.
Sounds like, the copilot is a bit new. So we have to give him a second chance? ;-)

I did find a FEM infinity program that you can do online.
But it doesen't work out so well, don't know if it is me who dosen't get the hang of it, or if it is the program :-(

/Anna

Albert Einstein

New FO's are usually very happy when the offer comes up with time to spare. It basically means they have passed and no repeat exercises. Sim checks are extremely stressful on your first type the first couple of years. They do ramp the work load up the more sim checks they have, by the end of the second year and 4th check they are expected to be Captains in training and things get much harder.

Practice makes perfect :) And if you get routine, it becomes less stressful.

The only training we are obliged to carry out every 3 years is first aid with a focus on electrical accidents.
And safty regulations for electrical work education.
But I would have attended a firefighting training as well, but it has been postponed now for almost a year due to Corona.

My boss's boss wanted me to train my colleagues in troubleshooting.
Now we don't count hours, but if I did I have at least 65 000 hours of experience, allmost twice as much as any of my colleagues.
I do not think you can teach someone to be methodical just by telling someone how to do it, if you are not allowed to practice and practically do it as well.
And to do such a training program on a hydraulic press feels almost impossible, not like a flight simulator where several people have developed exercises from real and possible scenarios for many years.

It's weird how the brain is actually working.
I've been doing my job for a long time and I'm good at what I do.
But I get stressed out by someone hanging over my shoulder when I have to troubleshoot.
I do it best alone or over the phone.
But then I can remember at least 3 times in my life when I was shore a was going to die, and I was as calm as one can be inside,
as if someone turned a switch.
Hade no practice in what to do, but acted only on instinct I guess, afterwards it was as if it had never happened.

/A

Albert Einstein

anna said:
It's weird how the brain is actually working
#

There was a major accident in Tenerife with a 747 and KLM's chief pilot.

From this the subject called crew resource management (CRM) was formed. It basically deals with educating you or better said making you think about "how your brain works" the processes that occur in your body and your limitations and how various factors effect them. It also deals with errors and mistakes and try's to give you tools to prevent them happening.

Its what we call a none technical skill. Everyone in the company that has anything to do with the operational side of aircraft has to get an initial 2 day course and then a yearly update in the company I work for which is not normal. Usually its only the crew and technicians (they also get an additional course in hanger screw ups).

I used to be what's called a facilitator in it. Its also crossed over into the medical world these days.

I suspect you would find the subject quiet interesting, its developed from the 747 accident went through NASA and has grown over the years into a very useful part of our yearly ground school requirements.

Yes probably :)
We actually have maneged to get the mechanics to be able to go the first aid courses now also.
Before it was usually one electrician and one mechanic working together, so if the electrician got an electric shock, it does not help much if the electrician is the only one with training. lol
Nowadays we have lot of defibrillators to so we get to train with them too.

hj_fdfxnp.png

At work, there are a lot of routines for dealing with crisis situations.
But when the accident happened it was a holiday break so there was no one there who could handle the situation.
The next day was my first day of work.
All that week I slept all night without waking up even once.
I can not remember when it last happened.
I guess the brain just turned off because there was too much to deal with.
I remember thinking when I woke up in the mornings that I must have been crying in my sleep.
Just because it felt that way, even though I could not remember it myself.
But the brain processes a lot of things when you sleep, so it's not impossible I guess.

It will take an eternity before I get the hang of this .. just do as the kids test until I understand how it works and how to do it. Trail and error . LOL
I can not even make a hole in the cylinder and this XYZ system .. sigh .. but sooner or later I will get it .. LOL

test_ydadxe.jpg

BR A

Albert Einstein

Right the traditional way to start to start with FEA is 2D model with a known numerical solution.

A plate with a hole in it pulled in tension is a good one. Although some prefer just a straight bar then upgrade to a plate with a hole in it which is a good starting point if your doing buckling or frequency response.

ANSYS I could make up an input deck off the top of my head without even turning a computer on for a plate with a hole in it even now after 20 years not touching it.

You would think that a pipe would be a fairly common mechanical form .. in a cad program like this, so why do you have to create your own I do not understand ?! .. sigh
Maybe I should try another program ??
It's definitely a bug in the software and not because of me ;-) that this program do not seems to work properly ... LOL

test_2_rirrfe.jpg

/A

Albert Einstein

it is.

Honestly go find who ever uses ANSYS in your place and get the basic course notes. I suspect they will have a floating license server so you can have as many software installations as you like on site but only xx number of people can have it active. So when nobody else is using it you can play with it and it doesn't cost anything.

Do you distrust in my ability ;-)
I guess it's your turn to tease me a little, this is your area ..
I'm not the one who gives in easily, maybe not a surprise for anyone :)
Look here! I am geting there .. [thumbsup2] [bigsmile]
test_3JPG_sftzn5.jpg

Anna

Albert Einstein

Waross or anyone..
I would not define making CAD images for FEA/FEM analysis of a broken aircraft part a hobby I of mine, but on the other hand it is not in my line of work either ..
I do not try to be "smart" here.
I just need a little clarification of, what? goes where?
I know this thread gets its own life sometimes.
And I've read the rules and I guess that #Off Topic# is the opposite of cross posting ?
If you mean something else, please just say so.
I have never been good at reading between the lines.
With a life companion who had the highest grades in all languages ​​and who did not understand what I said, if everything was not garmatically correct and who took everything literally, I have a hard time with that, and it is even more difficult when it is not one's own first language.

I was intending to ask at one of the mechanics forums, about any simple program to use.
But when even Alister replied, even though he has not worked with this for a while, and wrote that I should use ANSYS (
maybe it's easier than anything else, what do I know ?)
I realized that if someone works with this daily, they do not use simple programs as the one I would like.

horn_4_wgvvmo.jpg

Best regards Anna who just tries to find here way in this world..

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back