Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New subway flooding in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In proximity to a river... interesting that the failure surfaces appear to be nearly vertical.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

My first thought was that the tunnel looks remarkably shallow to go under the river.

However, in the video of the scene I see no disturbance of the water in the river. No flow. No bubbles. Nothing.

Speaking of that river in San Paulo, I was surprised how polluted it was:

KQ-100_owfaai.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I read reports that the tunnel boring machine struck a Sewer line, which is what was flooding the tunnel. However I don't know that's true, and it seems information isn't easy to come by for this. either way it is a big mess

I'm not surprised. When I was there visiting the university, the people I was dealing with described San Paulo as the largest 'unplanned' city in the world, and I believe it. You're lucky to see two streets running parallel for more then a couple of blocks, if you can even call them blocks.

Considering that I was there during their Winter, the weather was great:

KR-012_izjfwx.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

KR-035_addog5.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

And the municipal market is one of the largest in the world:

KR-069_hasgrn.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

Where you can buy anything, including Piranha:

KR-068_y3febl.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

But this was my lunch, along with a nice cold glass of beer:

KR-061_fwd9yo.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Not sure what they called it, but it was good. ;-)

The people who took us to the market said that the shop where we bought them, that they were famous for their sandwiches, and from the looks of the line queuing up at their counter, I'd say they were right:

KR-064_viiovj.jpg

July 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://playcrazygame.com/2022/02/02/tatuzao-is-flooded-and-trapped-in-a-tunnel-after-an-accident-at-the-construction-site-of-line-6-orange-of-the-sao-paulo-metro-parts-will-be-replaced-sao-paulo/[/URL]]What is known is that the armadillo was heading south, towards the Tietê River, between the future Santa Marina and São Joaquim stations, and was about 3 meters below the level of the sewage pipe that broke and flooded the work, next to the ventilation shaft.
Tunneling 3m below a very large sewer seems a bit risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back