Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX8.0 Selection settings not being saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morans

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2009
US
So our office recently went to NX8.0 at our customers request. Nobody in the office, however, can seem to permanently change the selection settings for it. Everytime UG is closed, it resets back to the default.

So for example, I prefer to setup my selection rule to "Inside/Crossing" and I also disable "Highlight with thick edges" (among other prefrences) but everytime I have to close UG, it reverts back to "inside" and enables "highlight with thick edges" (etc). The really strange part though, is that it did save the setting to "show crosshairs". It just wont save the rest of them.

Is there something new in NX8 about how these settings are saved? Previously, you could just change them and exit UG... and they'd be saved that way until you needed to change them again. Is there a particular folder that we need write access to for these settings to save properly?

thanks for looking
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These sorts of settings, found in Preferences, are being saved in the system registry. Make sure that you've still got write access.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John. So since we don't have Administrator privlidges, would we just have to have someone from our IT staff run NX8 "as administrator" so we can set it up for out own prefrences? I'd assume that, at that point, they should save ok?

I appreciate the heads up.

No, it would be better if you'd get your IT people to just set the registry folders to be READ/WRITE.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I assume you're not talking about the Windows registry?

What folder should they give be giving us read/write access to? (I'll just forward this request over to them)

Thanks again
Steve

OK, if you've not yet found the problem, I've got one other thing to try.

Go to...

Customer Defaults -> Gateway -> User Interface -> General

...and about 2/3's of the way down the dialog look for an option titled 'Save Dialog Memory bwtween Sessions'. If it's NOT toggled ON then do so. Then hit OK and restart NX, make your changes to the Selection Preferences, exit NX and restart a new session and see if the changes have stuck or not.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Thanks John. I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for us. I took a look and I don't see that option under general. I do see one sort of similar that says "save dialog box settings between sessions" and it's enabled.

Here is an image of it.

oops. Messed up the image. I'll try this again.

I also wanted to note, this is NX 8.0.0.25

imsze.png

It appears that we've reached the point where you will need to call GTAC and see if they can help you out.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back