mendel

Computer
Nov 5, 2003
US
Anyone out there -
a salaried worker,
working overtime,
and not getting paid for it?

This includes if your job needs special garb which requires time before and after actual job-time, for which you don't get paid. Or if you have to work through lunch.

You've got rights, and one of them is that for working overtime you MUST get paid time-and-a-half.

And there are ways to get this back, if you haven't gotten it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ietech -- I didn't mean to sound so negative in my prior post; although my current employer is much more attuned to financially rewarding those who contribute to the success of the company than the former, both were accomodating to time off -- my former actually allowed me to determine when I wanted to take time off without any other approvals-- but with both employers, we are (were) so short handed that if I didn't do the work and spend the extra time (and minimize my time off including vacations, etc -- and I wasn't alone in this situation, it included my boss and his boss, too), there were crews standing around twiddling their thumbs (obviously a bad situation for everyone concerned) -- so, in that respect, I had only my self to blame for being conscientious enough to care.... [and I am still glad to be employed -- and although I realize there is no corporate loyalty to employees anymore, I will continue to (try to) provide my employer with more than is expected... that's my choice whether I get paid for it or not]

I am lucky enough to get over time paided. But i must admitt it is not a common thing. Hell i still fill out a manual time sheet and get paid by cheaque.

You may have rights but think doing a little over time may get you a little latitude if you need extra time for lunch or come in late one day. Dont know about you guys but directors in AU notice this kinda stuff. And if give a few hours now and then you get some thing back. might not be for 6 months but when you need it you get it it can work both ways.

Well if your taking a poll:

I am salaried, I get paid the same whether I work 40 hours or 80 hours. I usually work 55 hours per week.

BUT I don't feel guilty if I have conversations with workers on the floor, as long as I don't disrupt their productivity. Or if I want to take an extra long lunch. Or if I just want to take off for an afternoon.

I know I would make much more money if I was paid overtime, but honestly I prefer the present arrangement.

I may be giving the company a couple hours a day, but the whole week is 'guilt-free'.

If it is a poll then I have a choice, I can take overtime at prescribed penalty rates, or I can flex the equivalent time off. These are legally enforceable rights. I gather the new rule as of July is that I can flex time off at the penalty rate (ie double time for Sundays etc).

What I actually do is flex time off at straight time in lieu. Since the rest of my section are contractors paid (far more than me) by the hour I feel no particular anguish in working to the rules, and t'management don't seem to have any opinions on the matter.

Cheers

Greg Locock

To echo some of the above comments, I believe the individual must understand what they are getting themselves into when the accept a position. Everyone one is different, some live to work while some work to live. Either one is okay and a personal issue but you need to set your priorities in life and move yourself into a position that best meets their needs.

What I thought was once a "raw deal" prior to reading this thread, has turned out to be better than average (by my estimation). I am a salaried P.E. who is exempt, however, if I work "signifigant" overtime, I can submit paperwork to be paid at 1.5 times my rate for anything over 45 hours per week. I didn't like the unwritten rule that I'm paid for 45 hours/week (since I'm below the US national average already), nor do I like having to ask special permission to work or get paid for overtime, however, the company has been fairly decent to me. My boss allows me to leave early, come in late as necessary, and I feel that's helped by the fact that I put in 50+ hours during the 5 day work week with Saturday hours not being uncommon. I typically only submit OT during the latter part of the year since it's our busy season and justifiable.

One thing to add is that I know during reviews the amount of OT is reviewed. Whether more/less OT is better, I'm not for certain, but it is looked at. I know that if I move up another pay grade or into supervisory work, the unwritten rule is that you can't get OT.

E-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back