Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paper properties ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJW

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2003
GB
Good day all,
I would be very grateful if anybody can give me a value, or direct me to information regarding the shear strength of an A4 Type sheet of paper ..... a strange request i know !
But i need this value to help with calculations for a punch i need to design.
All information / advise will be gratefully received

Best regards
Wessley

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Paper producers test for several different strength properties including tensile, burst, tear, elongation, TEA, etc. Tear is the closest to your request. These numbers are affected by multiple variables including kraft content, basis weight, moisture content, fibre orientation (cross machine numbers vary significantly from machine direction numbers), gloss, filler content, etc, etc. If you are always using the same paper/supplier, you can ask for these numbers (all producers test for these). TAPPI lays out the standard test procedures so you can convert the numbers for your purposes.

In the end, you may find it easier to do field trials on representative materials since the compressive characteristics of multiple sheets stacked together gives different behavior than single sheet numbers would suggest for applications perpendicular to the sheet face.

Dwayne Nyhus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back