Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Partially filled head volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcat

Chemical
Dec 27, 2001
US
I need an equation for calculating the volume of a partially filled ASME F&D head on a vertical tank. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I went through my reference books and even managed to dig out (after finding it) some old engineering documents I hoped might have it with no success. Horizontal, yes. Vertical, no.

However, the GPSA data book has a tabular set of data for the fractional volume of a vertical head at different liquid depths. You might want to try curve fitting a set of data points depending on the accuracy you need.

Checkout the thread
thread770-12414 "Eliptical spheres" in the spreadsheet forum.

This is mostly about filling horizontal vessels, but prex' answer posted 22/10 includes a formula for filling the head of a vertical tank.

regards
Mogens

Thanks for the replies. For anyone who may need similar information, I got the following formulas from Chicago Bridge & Iron Co bulletin #594, page 7:

Volume or contents of partially filled hemi-ellipsoidal heads with major axis vertical

Q= Partially filled volume or contents in ft^3
V= Total volume of one head in ft^3
R= Radius of cylinder in ft
delta= a/(KR) where
a= liquid height
KR= head height

Upper head Q=1.5*V*(delta)*(1-(1/3*(delta)^2))
Lower head Q=1.5*V*(delta)^2*(1-(1/3*(delta))

It probably gives you the same result as the one refrenced above by mgp.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a formula for an ASME F&D head but I was able to fit a equation to curvature of tank in question. Using this, I can find the volume of a solid of revolution bound between the curve and a horizontal line at the liquid level. Kind of long but I think it will work close enough.

Once again thanks for effort TD2K and mgp.

Chris

Gone are the days of everyone having the time to use second year university calculus and deriving the formulas from scratch by adding a couple of relatively simple integrals and solving for equation... I must be just too sentimental ... :)

Hey Delta, I don't know if those days are gone, or not. Last year I had to calculate the volume of a weir mounted up on the wall inside a vertical vessel. The weir was open at the top and trapeziodally-shaped in section. I had to calculate the volume (this was a skim trough in an IGF flotation cell) because the dump valve worked on a timer and we didn't want to blow a bunch of gas thru the dump valve and into the system. So I set up a double integral, roated it thru 2pi, and it worked. My old calc prof would have been proud. I even did it in the field, in the control room, in the rain, during a startup! How 'bout that! ;-) Thanks!
Pete
P. J. (Pete) Chandler, PE
Principal Engineer
Mechanical, Piping, Thermal, Hydraulics
Processes Unlimited International, Inc.
Bakersfield, California USA
pjchandl@prou.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back