Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Loss Calculation - Nitrogen. GPSA - Darcy Weisbach method. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABenggie

Mechanical
May 17, 2021
CA
Hello,

I need some help in determining why my calculated pressure drop is so high using the GPSA methodology vs results from a calculator such as free calc. In the attached I have a side by side comparison of the results between the 2 methodologies. It is peculiar because the calculated velocity using freecalc is higher than what I get yet their calculated pressure loss is orders of magnitude smaller. If anyone could advise on what the issue is that would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1d2b1ada-b65f-46dc-b001-3c76a38d32c0&file=Test.xlsx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Katmar thanks for bringing up that consideration. This is for designing a nitrogen control cabinet though whose purpose is to supply instrument gas to surge valves

"Cabinet" usually means rectangular to me. Rectangular means flat panels, and flat panels do not hold much pressure, without massive reinforcement. I am curious how this all fits with a PSV set pressure of 203 psig. Can you share a PFD, P&ID, or sketch?

Good Luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back