Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Loss Calculation - Nitrogen. GPSA - Darcy Weisbach method. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABenggie

Mechanical
May 17, 2021
CA
Hello,

I need some help in determining why my calculated pressure drop is so high using the GPSA methodology vs results from a calculator such as free calc. In the attached I have a side by side comparison of the results between the 2 methodologies. It is peculiar because the calculated velocity using freecalc is higher than what I get yet their calculated pressure loss is orders of magnitude smaller. If anyone could advise on what the issue is that would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1d2b1ada-b65f-46dc-b001-3c76a38d32c0&file=Test.xlsx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Katmar thanks for bringing up that consideration. This is for designing a nitrogen control cabinet though whose purpose is to supply instrument gas to surge valves

Are you sure about that maximum flow rate?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The flow rate is the rated flow of the device which I found from the product literature.

"Cabinet" usually means rectangular to me. Rectangular means flat panels, and flat panels do not hold much pressure, without massive reinforcement. I am curious how this all fits with a PSV set pressure of 203 psig. Can you share a PFD, P&ID, or sketch?

Good Luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back